Waypoint versus RTL Priority

Hi
I want to be able to set up my bixler to patrol a large area on a farm. The waypoints will be a few kilometres apart. It is likely that the plane will end up out of range of my transmitter.

Question I have is will the RTL functionality kick in when the plane goes out of range or will the plane continue on to its waypoints?

How do I ensure that the plane completes its mission even if it goes out of range? Do I disable the RTL function?

Thanks for any advice
Regards
Paul

Hi ptfo99,

By default, if the plane is in Auto it will continue with its mission, please take a look to this information:

plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/ardupla … r_meanings

If you want to see the parameters values, go to config/tuning, planner and enable the Advanced View (bottom - right on the screen), then click again in config/tuning and enter into the Full Parameter List

Thanks.
I have found the references.
FS_LONG_ACT
The action to take on a long (FS_LONG_TIMEOUT seconds) failsafe event in AUTO, GUIDED or LOITER modes. A long failsafe event in stabilization modes will always cause an RTL (ReturnToLaunch). In AUTO modes you can choose whether it will RTL or continue with the mission. If FS_LONG_ACTN is 0 then it will continue with the mission, if it is 1 then it will enter RTL mode. Note that if FS_SHORT_ACTN is 1, then the aircraft will enter CIRCLE mode after FS_SHORT_TIMEOUT seconds of failsafe, and will always enter RTL after FS_LONG_TIMEOUT seconds of failsafe, regardless of the FS_LONG_ACTN setting. If FS_LONG_ACTN is set to 2 then instead of using RTL it will enter a FBWA glide with zero throttle.

and FS_SHORT_ACT
The action to take on a short (FS_SHORT_TIMEOUT) failsafe event in AUTO, GUIDED or LOITER modes. A short failsafe event in stabilization modes will always cause an immediate change to CIRCLE mode. In AUTO mode you can choose whether it will enter CIRCLE mode or continue with the mission. If FS_SHORT_ACTN is 0 then it will continue with the mission, if it is 1 then it will enter CIRCLE mode, and then enter RTL if the failsafe condition persists for FS_LONG_TIMEOUT seconds. If it is set to 2 then the plane will enter FBWA mode with zero throttle and level attitude to glide in.