VTOL -- freeman2100 vertical take-off and landing fixed wing +pixhawk

I’m so sorry I finally got in touch with you.I could not reply to the email you sent to me, but it was returned by the system.Do you have any other mailboxes?I give you a taobao link of accessories:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-9811154342.27.2d6d6ceeFOK3uo&id=592280442339

OK, weird. Please check PM / Messages here on ArduPilot.
It is hard to find the wings to order. Do the motormounts come with the kit?
And the tilt-mechanism?

Hello!
I am very sorry that the two email boxes you gave me cannot receive emails normally.For some reason, emails are automatically returned.

Can we still order this?

The Taoboa website isn’t very informative or reassuring. Has anyone purchased any of these products? Wondering what your experience was?

Thank you

Hi David,

Yes, I agree that the Taoboa Web site needs some work…even with the English translation. My Freeman VTOL should arrive this week. It took a week to make it through China customs and then the “slow boat” took a few weeks but it is in the USPS system now in New Jersey. I’ll post photos when it arrives…

Cheers!

Greg,

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing pictures and reading your assessment. What version did you get? I can’t decipher the difference between the Free 2300 KIT and the Freedom 2300 Standard Edition. Do you know.

Dave

Dave,

It’s a good question so I have asked Mr. Chang for clarification. My understanding is as follows. I think the change from Freeman to “Freedom” may just be a misspelling.

• Freeman 2300 Kit - VTOL parts only
  • Freeman 2300 PNP - VTOL parts and electronics (motors, ESCs, props, etc.)
  • Freedom 2300 Standard Edition - RTF version with Believer

I’ve modified the Freeman wiring diagram a bit for easier identification in English.

Thanks Greg,
I sent Mr. Chang an email yesterday. It’s their weekend, so I may not hear from him for a few days.

I am looking for the Believer with VTOL parts and no electronics. Do you know if that is an option?

Thanks,

David

You can buy the Believer kit from Banggood here, or through Taobao here,and then buy the Freeman 2300 Kit.

Freeman 2100 Configuration List.pdf (74.7 KB) Freeman 2300 Configuration List.pdf (74.9 KB)
自由者2100用户手册(User manual for freeman2100) V1.0.pdf (871.5 KB) 自由者2300用户手册 (User manual for freeman2300)v1.0.pdf (1001.9 KB)
I am very sorry that I have just uploaded the detailed configuration list. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. My email address is 2565710339@qq.com

2 Likes

Mr. Chang,

Thank you for posting the Configuration List that matches the Taoboa options. It would appear that the following summary can be seen from the Configuration List.

• Freeman 2300 is the newer version of the 2100.
  • KIT Version contains just the Flying Platform
  • PNP Version contains the Flying Platform and Power system
  • Standard Version contains the Flying Platform, Power system, Flight Control system, Data Transmission system, and the Image system.

Greg,

I assumed the 2100 and 2300 referred to wingspan but maybe not.

Did you order the kit?

Mr Chang, are you using a version of the Pixhawk? Which one? I plan to use the Pixhawk Cube? Will you share your parameter file.

Also, I will likely use an Sony A6000 camera. Can the A6000 be mounted on the mount provided in the RTF version? Can this be order separately?

Thank you,

David

This is true but there are additional differences like slight changes in the arm foldout, landing legs, etc.

Yes, but it was the older Freeman 2100 Kit from MakeFlyEasy.

Look what arrived today?! :slight_smile: Since the flying season is all but over in Upstate NY, this will become my winter project. I haven’t decided if I will use the recommend electronics or use electronics that I have on-hand and successfully tested in other VTOLs. The Freeman is essentially a Believer with very well designed VTOL additions so it inherits all those good qualities previously reviewed. Although designed as a mapping plane, it can also be DIYed (yeah, that’s a verb now :slight_smile: ) to add gimbal controlled video and a transmitter link for FPV. The VTOL additions eliminate hand-tossed launches and smooth field landings. One of my favorite stock Believer reviews is from Arxangel here. Nikola goes above and beyond normal reviews with plenty of build photos and suggestions.

Greg,

Thanks for the steer to the Arxangel review. I saw it last year after the demise of my FF6. Great review, but this blog is the one that convinced me to purchase a believer.

My plan (perhaps a bit ambitious) it to make this a mapping drone with a sony A6000 and a high precision GNSS aided IMU for direct referencing. According to my research (lore) you can significantly reduce the overlap when direct referencing. I haven’t done the math yet but I am hoping to get 1,000 acres in one flight with a 15mm lens.

I have a bunch of parts left over from my FF6 and a failed attempt at making a VTOL. I haven’t decided if I will buy the kit or PNP version. I think it depends on the wiring. Is the kit prewired for the ESCs? When you get a chance I would love to see a few more pics.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Yes, Nate’s blog was a great review comparison. The KIT version has no pre-wiring. It just contains the wires for the builder to assemble. I am not sure what comes wired, if anything, in the PNP version. If I had to guess, I would say that the PNP version additionally contains the power system components unwired.

So at least we know that the KIT and PNP versions contain the Believer plane. The only parts that have been pre-assembled are the VTOL tubes with their elbow joints on the wings. The wings have also been reinforced with carbon tubes and a plastic wrap added to the top and bottom surfaces between the tubes and fuselage. This makes them very strong and different than the stock Believer wings. It appears that my wingspan is still 2100mm long. The elbow joints are top notch…good quality and good assembly!

At first glance, there are similar setup considerations to the Nimbus VTOL. Both have different motors up front and use higher pitch props for efficiency in forward flight. The dual QuadPlane motors in the rear will provide greater hovering stability in windy conditions.

Hi @makeflyeasy

Can you let us know where the CG is supposed to be? I assumed it may be similar to the Believer (1.5cm towards the back of the center of front carbon rod)

Looks like the plane you received still has the older screw-type locks for the folding arms. Be careful with tightening those down, they can come loose during flight if they aren’t tight enough.

The newer version (I guess only the 2300?) should have clip-type locks, going by the pictures on taobao. It would be nice if they went to the clip-types for both the 2100 and the 2300, though.

Luke,

The CG won’t change for a VTOL so the Freeman CG is the same as the Believer CG.

James,

Yes, that’s correct. I have the older screw-type locks. Thanks for the heads-up!

1 Like

I followed Nikola’s blog for installing the parts before gluing the wing halves together. Notice that only one wing adapter is glued on so that the internal carbon tubes can be installed after the halves are glued together.

I decided to order the suggested four EMAX ES3054 servos from ReadyMadeRC because my experience with the Nimbus VTOL showed that it can add a good amount of work to make other servos fit the precise areas designed for the EMAX ES3054 servo. In Nikola’s blog, he created new parts with a 3D printer. So far, every piece has fit perfectly!

2 Likes