Servers by jDrones

Video with tuning advice for throttle/speed control

tuning
rover

(rmackay9) #1

I made this video a few days ago to give some advice on tuning the throttle/speed control. I’ve also linked it to the bottom of the Tuning Speed and Throttle wiki page.

(RoboBill) #2

Great video. Nice to see some “this is what to expect” on the graphs. As for the braking, how does one know that the braking will not damage the controller?

RoboBill

(rmackay9) #3

@RoboBill,

Txs! My guess is that turning on braking is always safe. I think some ESCs (aka motor driver boards) come with a default setting that requires the driver to pause at neutral before applying reverse but I suspect this is to make it less likely that the driver accidentally backs up the vehicle when trying to slow down. I’m not really sure.

At some point we may just default the brake to ON.

(RoboBill) #4

@rmackay9

My only concern with braking was whether or not the motor driver could handle the surge generated by the motors. According to my drivers website, https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sabertooth2x60 it sounds like it can; “Sabertooth also allows you to make very fast stops and reverses”.

RoboBill

(Michael ) #5

thx for this video. i really hope to see video for pid tuning for boats :sweat_smile: or auto pid tunning option for boats. You guys are really nice people for doing all this hard work. sorry for my bad english

(rmackay9) #6

Michael,

Yes, a boat tuning video is on the list as well. txs!