Very slow download of data-flash logs

Recently I’ve noticed a dramatic increase in time required to download data-flash log files in Mission Planner. (maybe 15-20 minutes to download 2 log files)

The change may have occurred when upgrading to firmware 4.1.

Mission Planner reports 151 log files on the SD card - and less than 1GB of data is used - out of the 16GB capacity of the SD card.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions about this - I’d appreciate hearing them.

Thank you!

Do you have LOG_DISARMED enabled? Actually what do you have for these parameters?
LOG_BACKEND_TYPE,1
LOG_BITMASK,161790
LOG_DISARMED,0
LOG_FILE_BUFSIZE,200
LOG_FILE_DSRMROT,0
LOG_FILE_MB_FREE,500
LOG_FILE_TIMEOUT,5
LOG_MAV_BUFSIZE,8
LOG_REPLAY,0

I rarely use MP to download logs over a telemetry link. My logs tend to be quite large due to long runtimes, and it’s almost always better to just remove the SD card and access them directly. I realize that’s potentially immensely inconvenient, but it’s my preferred method.

Otherwise, you’ll want to determine what’s most important to log and pare down to the bare essentials, as Dave is probably beginning to suggest.

Thank you Yuri -

Pulling the SD card to copy to data-flash files isn’t problem - but as the size of my log files haven’t changed much over 6 months - so I was curious if something was causing the download process to become much slower.

Dave -

Here’s a list of my current LOG parameters:

LOG_BACKEND_TYPE,1
LOG_BITMASK,176126
LOG_DISARMED,0
LOG_FILE_BUFSIZE,200
LOG_FILE_DSRMROT,0
LOG_FILE_MB_FREE,500
LOG_FILE_TIMEOUT,5
LOG_MAV_BUFSIZE,8
LOG_REPLAY,0

Make sure you still have MAVLink2 enabled on your telemetry link (SERIALx_PROTOCOL=2) after the upgrade. It should be the same as before, but very occasionally a parameter doesn’t transfer cleanly.

1 Like

OK, default. Nothing to see there.

As Yuri says I rarely use telemetry to download too. On one plane where the Sd card is captured by my poor choice in FC mounting I use the ESP8266 radio but it’s sloooow.

USB: just a few minutes.

I have been using USB - but it’s now taking a really long time - maybe 20 minutes for just two log files. So I’m wondering if there’s a bug in what I’ve done - or a bug in the firmware.

Size? (post fill…)

The most recent were 13 and 20 mb.

Not great. You can try USB with:

• Other USB cable.
  • Other USB input.
  • Battery connected. If the FC is supplied only through USB, there may be inside or outside parts weakly supplied (worse than not supplied) that could interfere the USB connection.
  • Same SD with same logs on spare FC alone without connections. If the same happens, try other SD.

Good suggestions!

I have tried connecting the copter’s main battery - no help.

But I haven’t tried using different USB cables - good idea.

The SD cards that come with the CUBE don’t appear to be one of the higher speed versions such as what might be used on a camera. A better SD card - or even a re-formatted one - might be worth a try. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, does anyone knows which would be a good value for: LOG_FILE_BUFSIZE in Pixhawk Cube Black and Holy bro Durandal?

Currently I have it in 200.
Thanks for any advice!