Using servo outputs to control a variable resistor

I am trying to use a Pixhawk 2.4.8 to control a brushless DC wheel hub motor. The 350W 24V motor controller has a three-wire harness coming from it designed to be connected to a thumb controlled throttle on a scooter. Wiring it to a potentiometer will give manual control of the motors speed. Is there a way to connect these wires to the Pixhawk so that the throttle can be controlled via RC or MissionPlanner?

why not mechanically mount the potentiometer on a little servo and you are done?

I love that idea, but I’m wondering if there’s a solution less mechanical, mainly because I eventually want to be able to remotely jumper the two-wire harness that puts the motor into reverse and possibly access control of the three-speed switch and the brake. I didn’t know if one of the ADC connections or possibly the CAN or I2C was a possibility.

I guess my more general question is whether this type of controller is fundamentally incompatible with a Pixhawk and I should just look for a different type of motor and/or motor controller