Using ArduPilot/PX4 with custom SITL simulation

I am building an open-source standardised SITL using Webots for object-tracking. How can I add ardupilot to my Webots SITL for Quadcopter?

I have been working on this since past 1 week. But, my controller is barely usable and I would like to integrate Ardupilot/PX4. (Specifically because I had used APM hardware before and I would like to simulate that). However, whenever I search for APM SITL, I only get results for ROS-Gazebo SITL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S.: Please note that I have not included any links deliberately. I would be more than happy to update this post and share links of the open-source project & my research if needed.

Also, if this can be created as a feature request in Github ArduPilot repo, I would be more than happy to contribute if I am given some pointers regarding the same. (Please note that I have worked on ROS and Gazebo using Ardupilot before. However, I am not very familiar with ArduPilot codebase per se)

Reference: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArduPilot.org/permalink/2651046521585191/

Support for Webots was added recently in ArduPilot. There’s a Readme here - https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/blob/master/libraries/SITL/examples/Webots/README.md

There’s no Wiki page till now, but hopefully gets added soon

2 Likes

@rajat2004 Thank you for this! I am trying this out with Cygwin (Windows).
When I run bash droneX.sh, I get the following:

droneX.sh: line 5: /cygdrive/d/ardupilot/libraries/SITL/examples/Webots/Tools/autotest/sim_vehicle.py: No such file or directory

I am trying to compile this now (I checked the path too. That folder isn’t there) If this works out, I will help with the Wiki page if I can! :slight_smile:

EDIT: This doesn’t work in docker as sudo doesn’t work in docker. Also, GUI doesn’t work directly in docker. I am trying to get this up and running in Windows itself. However, how do I standardize this? The setup instructions need to be the same for my simulator for Windows, Mac OS and Linux

EDIT 2: No matter what I do, I get the same droneX.sh: line 5 error even after compiling. I am not sure if I have to download examples from somewhere. I am not able to get this up and running. Let alone standardisation. ~/ardupilot/libraries/SITL/examples/Webots does not have Tools folder.

The droneX.sh script has to be executed from the ardupilot root directory, rather than from the Webots folder.

It’s mentioned in the script as well -

I haven’t personally used SITL with Webots before so I’m not aware of any specific problems with it, the author of the PR would be better equipped to help

1 Like

Hey,
this is HefnySco,
I developed the SITL / Webot itegration.

First I use Ubuntu in my testing so I am not sure about Windows problems.
but the droneX.sh should be called from ardupilot root as @rajat2004 mentioned.

STEPS TO RUN SIMULATOR:

1- open webots.
2- open world you want to Run for example webots_quadX.wbt
3- press “RUN” button on webots. it is very important that ardupilot SITL simulator is not running.
4- now run droneX.sh after step “3” the order is VERY important here.

Side Notes:
1- Please make sure that you compile controller and world physics plugin.
2- controller argument takes port number in case you want to change port numbers.
3- when ever you need to rerun you should
a. STOP SITL simulator
b. Restart webots simulator
c. rerun SITL simulator.

I hope this helps

1 Like

@rajat2004 I have been running it in the ardupilot root itself. I am trying MHefny’s solution now.

@MHefny Thanks for the reply. I am facing the same issue as before! Please check https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/12006#issuecomment-544525560

reference to our conversation here:

using your suggested docker

please add -p 5599:5599 in the run command to open port 5599 in the docker.

xhost +
docker run -it --privileged \
 --env=LOCAL_USER_ID="$(id -u)" \
 -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix:ro \
 -v ~/ARDU_PILOT_PATH:/ardupilot:rw \
 -e DISPLAY=:0 \
 -p 14556:14556/udp \
 -p 8080:8080 \
 -p 5599:5599 \
  evans000/uav-sitl bash
1 Like

Also you can change the .sh file that runs simulator in Webots examples.

change IP and port by adding them as extra parameters as shown:
$PWD/Tools/autotest/sim_vehicle.py -v ArduCopter -w --model webots-quad:IP:PORT --add-param-file=libraries/SITL/examples/Webots/quadPlus.parm

you dont need to change port so keep it 5599, incase you want to change it please remember to change it also in controller args in webots the -p parameter.

1 Like

As I could not run ardupilot with Webots ODE physics engine, I wrote my own flight controller capable of doing waypoint navigation. The code can be found and can be used in other projects if needed. I was thinking along the lines of this for ardupilot. But, I found my own flight controller much easier to work with.

Link: https://github.com/PrasadNR/Webots-Quadcopter-Python-SITL/blob/master/controllers/mavic2proController/mavic2proController.py

Kindly find sitl-webots documentation here.
https://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/sitl-with-webots.html