Underpowered hexacopter not taking off

If you’re under budget constrains, then buying stuff that’s probably 7 years old and obsolete since 4 years ago is the worst way to proceed.

Today I tried to fly the drone with the 6S bat, brushless 6S ESC and 13.4 props.
It tried to topple forward instead of taking off vertically.

W

[quote=“viisshnu, post:42, topic:69968, full:true”]
Today I tried to fly the drone with the 6S bat, brushless 6S ESC and 13.4 props.
It tried to topple forward instead of taking off vertically.

WHAT DO I have to do to make it go vertical instead of toppling forward?

Vishnu

Check Motor order in MissionPanner motor test. The motor order diagrams are numbered for the Servo outputs of the flight controller, and Mission Planner tests them in a different order -> front right then around clockwise.
Check that HUD movements match actual movements.

EDIT: while you are the in the motor test, check for MOT_SPIN_ARM and MOT_SPIN_MIN and set them correctly (if not already). Many people seem to skip this step.

Hi Shawn,
I checked the direction of the motors based on HEXA-X diagram. All the motors are in right order.
Where do I check for MOT_SPIN_ARM and MOT_SPIN_MIN ?

Vishnu

MOT_SPIN_ARM needs to be set to the lowest reliable start up speed for example 0.08
MOT_SPIN_MIN needs to be set to the speed where props are JUST starting to make thrust, for example 0.11

I would recheck the motor order anyway - many people say they have multiple times and it’s still wrong, causing that tip-over event.
In the motor test, the “Test all in sequence” button should give you a nice display of motors running one at a time around in a clockwise circle

ok Shawn. .
My present values are

[Turnigy Multistar 20Amp V2 Slim BLHELI Multi-Rotor Brushless ESC 6S Multirotor]

Are my setting correct?

I keep seeing potential thrust loss (6). I have a HEXA-X setup.
All the motors seem to run fine and in right direction.
Could this be the reason for forward toppling of copter?

Vishnu

no idea, it depends totally on your ESCs’ and motors’ abilities.You have to test in MissionPlanner to find out what actually works

These messages are 1 minute after Motor Test so what condition was the craft in when these messages were produced? You were running the Motor Test with the props on?

And not convinced you have run the Motor Test and understand what order the Test is run in.

I ran the motor test without the props. The throttle was at 100% and duration was 10 secs. I ran all the motor test both from the MP and with the transmitter.
Other than the motor tests listed in set up-> motor test, what other ways to test the motors are there ?
Vishnu

Is the motor order correct when running Motor Test?
A front right motor
B Next one in Clockwise order
C next one in Clockwise order
And so on.
And, is the prop direction correct as per the Wiki?
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/connect-escs-and-motors.html

Are you really asking why there is a thrust Loss message when running the motors w/o props?

Dave I was testing (with the props) outside so I didnt have my MP with me.
Without the props I tested inside the house and thats when I saw Thrust loss message on (6) motor.
Since the copter was falling forward with props while testing outside , I was thinking it must have had a thrust loss with PROPS too.

I hope I was clear :slight_smile:

Vishnu

Let me guess…

When you ran this “motor test” indoors you actually armed the motors and then raised the throttle on your radio…

And just as an FYI, Tipping forward on take off is indicative of having the ELEVATOR CHANNEL REVERSED IN THE RADIO.

With 5 suggestions to run Mission Planner’s Motor Test and no acknowledgement that it was done I gave up.

hi Dave sorry for not responding. I changed the motor 4 to a backup one I HAD.
You are right "…Let me guess…

When you ran this “motor test” indoors you actually armed the motors and then raised the throttle on your radio…"

vISHNU

OLDGAZER,
i WILL CHECK ifTHE ELEVATOR CHANNEL is reversed. I know I saw the steps to reverse a while ago I cant remember it now.

How do I check if channels are reversed?

Vishnu

Just a question but do you have anyone there helping you with this ?
Perhaps with a slight better understanding of what these fine people are trying to help you with.
They have given you several attempts to try to wrap their minds around your issues but you seem to have a slight lack of the ability to comprehend what they are asking of you
and your test procedures. Important thing is check the simplest reasons first and second is recheck them
NO tuning on the planet can fix this if you don’t have the basics of DIY builds and set up
Either step away for a while and clear your thoughts for a day or two (Is what I do) then star from the beginning, check ,then double check, then check again.
There is a very specific order of operations that HAVE to be done to assure and maintain SAFE stable flight no matter the layout.
The flight or lack thereof PLUS your instant flipping issue is an ISSUE with YOU, your setup , or your build . i.e. bad prop(mostly likely seeing how many time it flipped while testing) wrong set up i.e. not matching motors to props to esc to power supplied etc.
There are so many steps to take before just putting together binding then outside for a gala
These folks know there stuff but only if you ( or I or anyone ) listens to their wisdom properly

Here’s the problem with that “test method”.

When you arm the motors the PID controllers are active. If as you increase throttle the flight controller will try to get the aircraft level.

This turns into a bad thing because the flight controller is expecting the aircraft attitude to change, but it doesn’t so the flight controller starts freaking out and it gets worse the more throttle you and.

For bench testing with no props on DO NOT USE THE RADIO TO CONTROL THROTTLE. The proper way to bench test motors is using Setup > Optional Hardware > Motor Test. Set the throttle % to 10 and at least a 5 second duration. Clicking on each motor letter will spin each motor in a clockwise order starting with the right front (Motor A) and ending with the left front (Motor F).

To figure out how to reverse the elevator channel you need to consult the owner’s manual.