Underpowered hexacopter not taking off

hi
I built a PIX4 hexcopter. Calibrated all steps in mission planner. The motor test runs good.
I used 5010-14 360KV Brushless Motor.

The drone doesnt take off with transmitter. the Trottle runs to max but drone doesnt take off.

Vishnu

What mode are you using? When you set throttle to max while disarmed, is the throttle really at max in radio calibration in mission planner?

hi Thank you for getting back to me.
What mode are you using?
The switch B is set to stabilize in the transmitter. When I throttle in TX the switch B is in stabilize.

When you set throttle to max while disarmed?
I arm the motors by holding the throttle at minimum and pushing the throttle to right for 5 secs

, is the throttle really at max in radio calibration in mission planner?
Yes I radio calibration I hold the throttle and the pitch sticks to max and make sure all the red bars hit. I then make I can see the messqge about 8 channels being calibrated in Mission planner.

I hope I was clear. I am not sure if you want me to export my params and send them to you.

Vishnu

What ESC’s are you using? What are the rest of the details about this craft? Props, battery power and take-off-weight with battery.

Hi @viisshnu,
Please check if the Arming Check and Geo Fence options are enabled. For testing proposes please disable it and then try arm again.

I assumed this meant the motors were turning and it’s not taking off. Is that not the case?

ESC is RC electric parts, 5v/3AMPS BEC. I have 6 ESC.
Battery is OVONIC UAV 10000mAh 15C…14.v

Total weight 6.01 lbs
Transmitter is :flysky i6x.

TAROT FY690S 6 Axle Full 3K Carbon Fiber Aircraft Frame Folding Hexacopter TL68C01 690mm Airframe for DIY FPV RC Drone.

MOTOR INFO:5010-14 360KV Brushless Motor
This is 5010-14 360KV Brushless Motor
Features:
1.Machined aluminum front housing with four fan-style cooling holes that pump air through the motor while it runs.
2.Rear threaded mounting holes with both 16 mm and 19mm hole spacings fit a variety of applications.
3.Specially designed NdFeB magnets with high temperature rating for trouble-free operation.
4.High Temperature 140 C (356 F) rated wire is used for winding the motors to minimize the risk of burning up the motor.
5.High quality stator plates are epoxy coated on the inner surface to prevent winding shorts. 0.20mm stator plate id used on this motor 5010.
6.High quality shielded and permanently lubricated ball bearings are used to support the motor shaft in all our motors.
7.High temperature adhesives are used to secure the stator windings and prevent them from shifting and getting pinched or shorting out .

Motor size: 50*10mm
Shaft size: 4mm
Weight: about 116.2g
KV(rpm/v): 360
Battery: 2-6Li-Po
ESC: 20-40A
Cable 40cm

Vishnu

Hi Andre
how do I disable arming check and Geofence?

Vishnu

Yes Dave. The motors are turning buts its not taking off.
I have videos if you like.

I tried to fold the legs ( so that the hex is almost touching the ground) and then tried to take it off…It rose for a few inches, hovered around and props hit ground.

Vishnu

OK, then arming is not the problem. What props?

Don’t disable the arming checks, the error messages can be usefull.

Geofence will be disabled by default.

Hi @viisshnu,

To disable Geo Fence: (uncheck Enable option)

To disable Arming Check: (set value 0 and then click Write Params button)

Dave
I am using 11 X 4.7 carbon fiber props.
I had the same issue yesterday with 12x4 carbon fiber yesterday.

Vishnu

looks like ARMING_CHECK and GEO FENCE are disabled.

Hi @viisshnu,

Please, check if the Props are in the correct orientation and replace your battery by 6S. Seems your 4S battery has not enough voltage to spin the motors at high rpms. Double check if your ESC and APM are supporting 6S batteries. And use 12" or 13" propellers.

Andre
My ESC says 2-4S lipo , 16.4v MAX

Do I need to change my ESC?

This craft as configured doesn’t have anywhere near enough thrust to fly. Even if you change to 6S power and use the 12x4 props the max weight you would want to fly at is ~2kg. You bought the wrong motors.

If you change to 6S power, use 13" props and drop the Take-off-weight to 2.4kg this craft will fly properly.

And what version of Arducopter is this where the Arming Check is at 0 by default? Or did you mistakenly set it that way?

360 kV motors need at least 15" props on 6S. If you want 13" props and 4S battery, you’ll need at least 650-700 kV motors.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Hi @viisshnu
Like @rollys said in his mention your motors were not well dimensioned for your model.
In this moment you have 2 approaches:

• Replacing your battery for a 6s and also the escs. This approach was a less efficient solution because your motors were made to work with bigger propellers. And these bigger propellers won’t fit in your frame. (your frame only supports up to 13" propellers)
  • Keep the actual setup replacing only the motors with more KV. You need to check which are the best motors for your frame and propellers.

Do not disable arming checks, and please do activate fence.

1 Like