Unable to unzip async-TX1

I have tried to unzip the download with every method I have been able to come up with on both a Mac and Ubuntu (14.04 and 16.04). Tried several unarchive tools on both platforms and home brew command line on the Mac as well as Linux command line. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RB

Compressed with xz, pretty much the standard for compression now-adays.

pbarker@bluebottle:~$ lsb_release  -r
Release:	16.04
pbarker@bluebottle:~$ dpkg -S `which unxz`
xz-utils: /usr/bin/unxz
pbarker@bluebottle:~$ 

@peterbarker. Thanks for the quick response Peter. I’m new to Ubuntu and command line instruction but have tried xz util and several others mentioned on the Linux forums. I was able to unzip the Edison tar and flash without problems on both systems, both with command line and commercial programs. I’m a little confused as to what to do with the script in your response. I did install dpkg-dev and tried that with no results. The best I have been able to come up with is an empty folder labeled apsync-tx1-latest.img. It’s the old story, I know enough about this to get myself in trouble. I’m going to slog through this some more after work.
Thanks,
RB

@peterbarker. Thanks for the quick response Peter. I’m new to Ubuntu and
command line instruction but have tried xz util and several others mentioned
on the Linux forums. I was able to unzip the Edison tar and flash without
problems on both systems, both with command line and commercial programs.
I’m a little confused as to what to do with the script in your response. I
did install dpkg-dev and tried that with no results. The best I have been
able to come up with is an empty folder labeled apsync-tx1-latest.img. It’s
the old story, I know enough about this to get myself in trouble. I’m going
to slog through this some more after work.

Have you tried:

tar xfJ apsync-tx1-latest.img.tar.xz

“tar -xf” and “tar -xJf” both work just fine with the Edison compression as well as the ubuntu extraction option. None of them work on the tx1, could it be a problem incurred in the download given the size difference in files? Has anyone else had the same issue? I have a couple of thousand dollars invested here and am at a dead end. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
RB