Trouble connecting: hardware or software?

I’m a newbie, got APM 2.6 board from a friend. He’s on vacation so can’t ask him. I’ve installed arduino drivers and APM Planner 2.0 software, plug in the board via USB (no other connections, just USB cable directly into PC) but I don’t see anything happening. Terminal says the following:

Init ArduCopter V3.2-rc2 (d4a892c6)

Free RAM: 2050
FW Ver: 120

load_all took 1959us
�3COMPASS INIT ERROR
�3�Calibrating barometer� � �3�barometer calibration completeFailed to boot MPU6000 5 times
� � Failed to boot MPU6000 5 times
Failed to boot MPU6000 5 times

�3�Initialising APM…
PANIC: failed to boot MPU6000 5 times

I can’t launch SLI - don’t see how (yes, I read the post, but can’t find where is the “reset to default”). What’s happening? Am I doing something wrong, why is the board doing this? Maybe I should connect battery to it? Although in YouTube people seem to get connection just via USB alone. Is the board defective?

What should I try?

This looks like your APM2.6 has blown the 3v3 regulator. It’s not a APM Planner 2.0 issue, it the HW. Sorry

The 3.3v voltage regulator was a common problem for that board.
I have a 2.8.0 board with the same problem but it’s NOT the regulator.
I test the regulator and get 3.3V on the output pin, and on pin 13 of the MPU6000.
I get 5v on the I2C though. On previous boards…2.6 and below…this was an indication of a bad regulator. But on 2.7 and above, (Hobby King) these problems were adressed.

It flew great yesterday, the when it was on the bench getting the camera and gimbal installed I started getting gyro errors, and then it wouldn’t boot.

I am still waiting on a solution from the vendor.