Traditional Heli with Matek F405-STD

Hi,

after solving some issues with an old traditional helicopter setup I finally have everything ready on a Matek F405-STD FC.
The FC recognizes GPS, compass and RC.
All calibrations are done, the FC arms.
And then nothing…
On the FC I configured:
Servo1 - Motor1
Servo2 - Motor2
Servo3 - Motor3
Servo4 - disabled
Servo5 -HeliTailRSC
Servo6 - HeliRSC

RC7IN - Flight modes
RC8IN - Motor Interlock

Servos 1 - 3 operate as the RC tells them.
Nothing at all on 5, servo6 indicates min pwm but does not operate ESC.
RCIN’s follow switches.
Motor4 is disabled but shows trim pwm.
Matek states: no servo and motor on same TIM.
So when I disable motor4 again and reboot then servo4 is motor4 again.
All changes on full parameter list lead to the same issue.
When I use Servo6 with RC3IN motor spins but is not really controllable.

Does the Matek F405 have any restrictions that I missed?
Thanks for your help.

Rolf

@RoMe82 with the matek flight controllers, you need to set any output to ESC’s on servo 1 and/or 2. So I thiink you need to move your output to the ESCs to servo 1 or 2. so I would recommend setting servo 1 as HeliRSC. Are you DDVP or DDFP for the tail? If you are DDFP, then I would set servo 2 as motor 4 (tailrotor). If you are DDVP, then set servo2 to HeliTailRSC and set servo 6 to motor 4 (tailrotor servo). Set servo 3, 4, and 5 as motor 1, 2, and 3 which are the swashplate servos. Hope this helps

Hello Bill,

Thanks much for the info. Mattel was not helpful at all when I asked them. Will try this setup. What puzzled me was the fact that servo4 would always come back to be motor4 when I rebooted. Regardless of what I told it to be.
Will
Let you know what happens.

Thanks much.

Rolf

@RoMe82 That should not happen. What version of software are you running ArduCopter 4.0.3? Let me know if this continues to happen. I will have to investigate it more.

Regards,
Bill

Hello Bill,

as you indicated I am running 4.0.3 It appears to me that Motor 1 - 4 are coming up after reboot assigned to servo 1 - 4 and HeliRSC is always servo 8.
As I am a little under pressure to complete the heli and let it fly by two little 9 and 10 year old buddies of mine I switched to a pixhawk 2.4.8. But I will go back to the Matek as it fits much better into the heli frame.
and I have two more of these old frames.
Will put it on a test frame that I built and let you know by the end of the week.

Thanks and rgds

Rolf

Hello Bill,

Took longer than I anticipated.
On the Matek F405 I have tried the motors 4 and 5 for the tailrotor. I used the settings motor4 and motor5 respectively. Then I tried HeliTailRSC. Nothing happened on any of the outputs. The servo output showed 0 in any case. Then I switched the setting to RC4IN. Immediately I got the ESC to work on either servo output. Surprisingly it worked on both outputs. Although Matek specifies that 3 and 4 can‘t be servo and motor. But as 3 is called motor3 I assume the FC does not get that. The FC also ignores the motorenable switch and runs the tail ESC all the time. When I switched back to HeliTailRSC the old problem was back. No reaction whatsoever…

I am posting another question about a problem with servo/motor on the forum related to the Pixhawk.
Thanks and regards

Rolf

Please post a param file so I can see your setup. I think you are missing something.

Did you have H_TAIL_TYPE set to DDFP. You are using a fixed pitch prop on your tail correct? If you are using DDFP then you don’t need to use HeliTailRSC

Hello Bill,

correct I use DDFP.
Will use motor4 on that now.
But first I need to replace the brushed tail motor with a brushless.
My other heli with the belt drive tail crashed and I need to find a main gear for that.
Thanks for your help.