So after 2.5 week of almost solid rain, we finally get a sunny weekend....except it's blowing more than 30km/h and gusting even more.
However, with daylight savings, it's now light enough after work that I can get some flying done! No wind and while orientation was a little tough with the sun in front, it didn't matter too much for what I had to do.
My mobius misbehaved again,though.This time a loose micro SD card, but I got my iphone setup for the second half. (Until that ran out of battery).
Much better than last time. I had increased P on both pitch and roll and it was much more responsive. I cranked it up twice, decided that it was getting just a little twitchy (No oscillations, though) and dialed it back down a little.
Loiter also seemed better, although it tended to drift and then catch itself whenever yawing?.
The other issue was also that I needed to add forward + right stick in order to prevent it from drifting when in stabilize. I initially thought that maybe the accelerometer wasn't calibrated correctly and was trying to find a level surface. to calibrate it on, hence the frequent stop & go on the video. It was only after I finished, that I realized that I did not re-level the swashplate after I removed the trim on my transmitter!!
Other issues/lessons learned:
- I need to set the collective so that hover in stabilize matches hover in loiter. I almost crashed it into the ground towards the end when switching back to stabilize.
- Keeping neutral collective when spooling up greatly reduces the chicken dance.
- Batteries are sagging more than I like under load. I wont buy new ones just yet, but I should probably start planning for it.
- I do like the simplicity of operating a heli vs a plane: Remove blade holder, unfold blades, mount lipo, press safety switch, go. No fiddling with mounting wings, extension cables, etc etc.
Weather forecast is again looking crappy for the next week or so, but next time I'll go to a more open area and start experimenting with some auto-missions