Too heavy?

I’m starting to think the Iris with the stock long legs + gimbal & gopro is too heavy. I have been having some issues where the Iris seems to just sink rapidly to the ground, even with full throttle. Couldn’t quite put my finger on it, until I did some testing today.

Any time you give moderate successive, opposite pitch or roll commands, the Iris sinks to the ground, and quickly. I got it to the point today where I could make it happen every single time - give full left roll followed by full right roll. Even after you quickly let off, it will sink right to the ground. This is a sure-fire and extreme way of doing it, but it happens to a lesser extent with lesser inputs.

I tried removing the gimbal, but leaving the legs on, and it was much more resilient to this. With the stock short legs and no gimbal, it’s almost non-existent. Seems to be it can’t handle the weight of the gimbal + long legs?

Will pull logs and post in a bit.

Do you have the parameters loaded for the gimbal? I have yet to add a gimbal to my iris but I was planning on it. Hoping there’s a fix for this.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

[quote=“knightrider”]Do you have the parameters loaded for the gimbal? I have yet to add a gimbal to my iris but I was planning on it. Hoping there’s a fix for this.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk[/quote]

No, I don’t, but I have it tuned to a point where it used to work pretty well with my (much lighter) 3D printed legs. I will give the param file a shot.

I still feel like it’s a bit much for it, it is pretty sluggish to climb with everything onboard.

The parameters with gimbal are important seen you completely change the center of gravity of the quad once the gimbal and gopro are installed.
which flight modes do you experience this with?

FYI, this DOES happen with the stock gimbal param file too.

I fly with the Gimbal and I think it’s more about the wind resistance than just the weight. It seems as though the copter is pushed down by the wind resistance and has a hard time correcting for it.
I don’t change the parameters when I fly with the gimbal and it seem to fly just fine.
Slow and steady. Great for aerial shots.
Without the Gimbal and legs the copter is nice and snappy.