Tiltrotor support for plane #2

Good, thank you. That was the problem but now I have another… at the first test all motors armed and work but after I disconnect the battery motor 1 don’t want to work, even any sound at the connecting the battery. Beside this problem, all motors have lag in throttle and start at a very low rpm and I can’t make a calibration because I have an error in mission planner something with A.C3 3.3+. Thank you for your support and I warn you that I’m a beginner I’ll ask a lot of stupid question :))

No worries about wrong questions. There is plenty to learn!

What modes are you doing the ground testing with? I would recommend using QSTABILIZE and FBWA modes. You can use Manual mode for initial testing of control surfaces but you’ll also want to check the direction of compensation in FWBA mode for ailerons and elevator.

Use the WiKi ESC Calibration procedure to make sure they are set correctly for your setup.

after 1 hour the motors are working ok but when I arm them all motors start at a low rpm… so until now, everything is ok, with the motor. Another problem with servo tilt. I made the tilt mechanism and I have 2 servos with 360degree rotation, I don’t know where to change some values to make a 90 angle. Now are to 80-85, something like that.

EDIT: i found where to change, min and max, but i can’t go more than 2200 pwm and it’s not enough… another solution ?

Use Q_M_SPIN_ARM to adjust motor speed when armed. I typically leave mine at 0.0.

You may be up against the mechanical limit…which should be set prior to installation. On my tilt rotors, I position the servo arm using a servo tester so that I can then fine tune them once installed on the appropriate SERVOx_MIN and MAX. It shouldn’t take you long to correct this mechanical linkage.

Good luck!

Ok, thank you! I’ll try my best and i’ll be back :slight_smile:

Here is a picture with my vtol. Is the second version I hope everything will be ok for the flight. Firstly I want only to fly very well in hover mode and after that to make the transition.

I like the skids. It sounds like a good plan. Remember to keep pointing the nose into the wind.

Good luck!

Hello guys. I’m back. Thank you, Greg, now it’s ok with arming the motors. Next step I’m trying to set the course of the servo for tilt. You can see in the picture the max course of the servo to the back. I have I problem with the second servo because it can’t make the same course, only a few degrees to the back. Where can I find a parameter to check the tilt? Or how can I make a command to make the tilt to both servos without to change the parameter reverse? I hope you understand.

And the second problem is with motor 3 from the rear. I’m working now in qstabilize mode and after few seconds from the start the rear motor stop.

vtol.param (16.8 KB)

Parfenov,

It looks like you are using SERVO11 for Left Motor Tilt (75) and SERVO12 for Right Motor Tilt (76). Each SERVO output has these settings:

SERVO11_FUNCTION,75
SERVO11_MAX,2200
SERVO11_MIN,600
SERVO11_REVERSED,0
SERVO11_TRIM,1500
SERVO12_FUNCTION,76
SERVO12_MAX,2200
SERVO12_MIN,550
SERVO12_REVERSED,1
SERVO12_TRIM,1500

You can change the til from up to down by changing the flight mode from QSTABILIZE to FBWA. This can be done via the R/C transmitter or from the Mission Planner Actions tab and MODE button.

If the servo goes in the wrong direction, change REVERSED from 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0. Does this makes sense?

Now i understand… Look at this thrust vectoring. It’s ok ? it not to lazy if i can say that ?:))

It is hard to say. You probably need to try it in a hover.

i understand. I’m so happy because the tilt servo is set, everything is normal, the transition is very good but the last problem is with the rear motor. It doesn’t want to work… only 1 second after arming… I checked servo function and it’s ok… i don’t know where is the problem… i tested in qstabilize…

Edit: i tested outside, and the rear motor start only when he want… and when I’m changing to fbwa he stops immediately and when I’m changing to qstabilize it doesn’t start, very strange …

I think you may have the wrong setting for SERVO7. If your rear motor is plugged into OUTPUT7, change the SERVO7_FUNCTION from 39 to 36. Alternatively, you can plug the rear motor ESC into OUTPUT8 which is already set for FUNCTION 36.

What output is your rear motor ESC plugged into?

into output8… 7 is clear

i changed to output 7 and set to 36 but is the same behavior… it start and stop after 1 second

I am running out of ideas. Is the ESC the same type for all three motors? Has it been calibrated like the front ESCs?

I use Q_ESC_CAL=2 from the procedure here. To power up your Pixhawk without powering the ESCs, use the USB port to connect to Mission Planner. Then use your battery to power the ESCs in Step 7.

I don’t know how to thank you Greg. The problem was to the ESC and not to the pixhawk… I have set it and everything works normal. All motors respond and, the transition is ok, the 3rd motor start after i’m switching to qstabilize. Thank you very much… in next days i’ll try to fly it.

Awesome news! Good luck on your flight!

I had a weird thing happen with my tilting quadplane yesterday, I thought I’d ask here.
I was flying an AUTO mission, including takeoff and landing.
-The wind was minimal
-I DO have weathervaning enabled
-I started the takeoff pointed into the wind
-I DO have leveltransition enabled.
The quadplane made it to the takeoff height okay, but exhibited unexpected behavior during the transition. In short, as soon as the transition began, and before it had any airspeed, it yawed about 90deg to the right and started flying towards the first waypoint immediately.
I’ve flown a couple of AUTO missions at this point, but it’s the first time I’ve seen it do that. I’d expect it to transition while facing INTO the wind, then turn after a set distance. At least, that’s what I want it to do. Is there any parameter I can set to achieve this?
Thanks,
-James

Hi everyone,
I am working on a fixed wing tiltrotor tricopter for my undergrad in aerospace engineering. We are currently set up with:

• Pixhawk
  • 2x 5000 mAh batteries (Powers motors and motor tilt servos)
  • 1x 3000 mAh battery (reciever/control surface servo battery)
  • Lumenier 50A 4in1 ESC (DSHOT enabled)
  • X8R receiver running SBUS
  • Taranis X9D transmitter

We are running into problems after arming the motors and the pixhawk where the motors will turn on but after so long of running completely stop. It seems that it resets the flight controller as well. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have been following all of the Tiltrotor support and Nimbus VTOL support but I’m not sure I’ve seen a problem related to this. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

Firefly_04_07_19.param (17.0 KB)

Hi Casey,
How is the pixhawk powered?

Casey,

I can’t see an image of your plane, and the video says it is not available, so this is just a guess. I think that your Q_FRAME_TYPE setting is incorrect. You should be set it to 1 not 2.

Can you post an image of your project? How about a .bin log?