T-rex 500 Pixhawk mounting options?

Hi all,
I have a T-rex 500 clone with a flybarless head on it, currently using a Tarot FBL controller and all is sweet with it. Flys fine.

I want to fit a Pixhawk to it now instead, as I’d like to use it some of the stabilization and navigation functions of Arducopter like I do with my multicopters (already fitted with Pixhawk).

I bet that a Pixhawk into a T-rex 500 trad heli ha s been done a lot by now, but I can’t find any images of what the range of mounting options might be. It wont fit flat inside the frame in the default position like a multicopter, so I’m thinking it’s got to go on its side, mounted inside to a frame side plate.

Questions.
Left or right side, which works out better ?
Where does the GPS/Mag module seem to work best ?

Any tips, photos, or mention pitfalls to avoid would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Martin
Adelaide, Australia.

Works well like this.

Oops . won’t take my picture. Left or right side is fine and GPS/Mag on the tailboom

diydrones.com/forum/topics/550-a … hawk-3-1-5.

Here are some pictures I hope

Thanks.
Do you reckon it will fit inside the frames on its side if the OEM gyro mounting plate is removed ?
I hoped it would…

Martin

Probably would fit there. Might be hard to get to some of the connectors though. The dimensions of the Pixhawk should be easy to find on the 3DR website

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

After a delay I’ve working on the Trex500 trad heli Pixhawk again. Are people using external gyros, or does the Pixhawk do a good enough job of yaw control ?

Pixhawk does a great job. I will try to post pictures later of mine.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

That would be great, I’m in need of some inspiration to get stuck into it.
Cheers,
Martin

This has worked well for a few years now. https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgqdUNhfFlnDga0aOMpM1glDnI6mUw
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgqdUNhfFlnDga0bA8BvxNwt4ZghIQ

Regards,
David R. Boulanger

Thanks.
A couple of questions come to mind.
The fairly rearward position of the GPS/Mag module, was it that far back because of interference, or just the first place that you tried ?
The small module right on the tail fin, what is that ?
I assume you took this image before connecting up the power module to the ESC, or do you not use the power module for current/voltage ?
Do you use any governor mode on the ESC or just a straight linear output and use the Pixhawks control ?

I ask that because I have a Castle 45Amp that is setup with internal head speed control. I think that’s not needed with a Pixhawk ?

Thanks for the photos,
Martin

GPS/ Mag could probably be a bit more forward but that would put it closer to the servos. Module on the tail fin is the FPV video transmitter. Currently the power module only powers the Pixhawk. I’m waiting for a Mauch power module to arrive and will then power everything through it. I use a Castle 120 Amp ESC in governor mode set at a headspeed of 1550. This has been stretched to a 600 size with Spin Blades. Flight time with a 6S 5000MAh pack is about 12 minutes and a 8 Amp pack gives me about 18. All up weight with Gopro, 3 axis gimbal and Canon S110 mapping camera is 10 - 11 pounds depending on batteries. Check out SWF Drones on YouTube for a few videos of it in action.

Regards,
David R. Boulanger