Strange behaviour in CIRCLE mode

I want to continuosly rotate copter automatically in Yaw axis. So I changed mode to CIRCLE, radius set to 0 and its finally rotate in one point, but after finish full 360 circle it start to rotate in opposite direction, after that and start to rotate correctly as 2nd circle…

tried many options with CIRCLE_OPTIONS parameter but without success

You left out the most important piece of information. Is this ArduCopter 4.2.1?

1 Like

Sorry for that. I’ve tested it on many firmware versions, i.e. 4.0.7, 4.1.5 but it is the same result. Should I move this post to another part?

No, you can keep it here.
@rmackay9 one more for the list of ArduCopter 4.2.x issues :frowning:

Will be great, if the maximum speed of rotation increased to 180 deg/s :innocent:

Hi @owiec,

Txs for the report. My guess is that the circle rate is faster than the vehicle can achieve (perhaps because of another yaw rate limitation perhaps in the ATC_ parameters).

To provide this I think you could set the CIRCLE_RATE to be much lower and the problem will go away.

Can you prove an onboard log showing the issue?

Hi @rmackay9
Thank You for Your reply.
I’m not sure which parameter is related for this, I guess it’s ATC_ACCEL_Y_MAX?
I’m sending all ATC_ params:

“To provide this I think you could set the CIRCLE_RATE to be much lower and the problem will go away.” - I’ll check this and back to You soon, but I want to rotate much faster :slight_smile:

Sure, here is log (file is larger than 4MB):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AQpCa7m1d4wBPKDJzRZXs3ts2EUhlO1z/view?usp=sharing

@owiec,

I think the limiting parameter will be ATC_SLEW_YAW (currently set to 60deg/sec) or ATC_RAT_YAW_MAX (but this is set to zero so it shouldn’t be the issue).