Steps needed to get OSD on an 3DR X8

I have an X8 with FPV kit that I am having a lot of fun flying. When I use the FPV camera though, I only see one message displayed. I think it says “Overspeed #kph”. The number fluctuates and I have not determined what it relates to yet. I need to go Google that message, but I am also wondering what else I have to do to get more useful OSD messages to be displayed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi deinspanjer,

Here you can find information about that warning:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … #Overspeed

If you have a FTDI cable you can try to reload the minimOSD firmware and charset:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … -firmware/
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … acter-set/

Actually, I just discovered more info about this today. I started up the X8 without the RC transmitter turned on. I noticed on the FPV monitor a ton of OSD data. When I powered up the transmitter, the screen suddenly changed to the minimal one with just the over speed warning.

Okay. I got the cable and set up the OSD the way I want. The overspeed message is still an issue though. I tried setting it to 100 mph as well as 0. When set to 0 it seems to just keep the previous value. Regardless of what it is set to, when the off screen is selected, that message is always displayed. I am not really sure how much use an over speed warning is for a copter instead of a plane. Ideally I would like to just turn it off, but at least having it not be constantly in the way would be okay too.

You are right, over speed and stall is useful in planes, but I haven’t seen this message in mission planner or apm planner so I think is not useful in copters.

If you want to disable it and the message is still in there, you can try:

minimOSD beta version:
drive.google.com/a/3drobotics.c … p=sharing#

Or minimOSD extra firmware?

code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/
diydrones.com/forum/topics/addin … o-minimosd