Skyviper 2018 model video review

1,000 up-votes
twenty characters

Hi there! Sorry for the delay… things are busy here since the product has been hitting the shelves.

I would personally love nothing more than to bring the 2900 back and make it fly like we had originally intended! That frame is 2 years old, and at the time we were putting it together we were constantly being told “It’ll never fly!” “You can’t have motors that small!!” Etc. Etc. Etc.

I feel it was 1 year too soon for that frame. Going with CleanFlight and trying to work a reliable GPS performance into it was mind-numbing. iNav had just started their branch from Cleanflight for the same issues. In Manual mode, that thing is a BLAST to fly! We still fly modded 2900s around the office all the time.

Unfortunately, Retail partners didn’t like the price point so it was a tough sell.

Ultimately, though, we learned a LOT (you learn more from failures than from wins) and the GPS functionality that was lacking is what ended up getting us to develop with ArduPilot.org! Sacrifices, but victories in the end.

5 Likes

I would imagine, especially with the high end DJI drones on one side and then a bunch of other “stuff” on the other side these days, it is a hard sell to put a $250 drone on the shelves in-between with no gimbal or HD camera and try to differentiate yourself. Marketing is tough (also was one of my favorite classes with my MBA), especially when you’re trying to differentiate amongst a crowd of inferior products, at a similar price-point, when the target customer isn’t informed enough to know (or care?) the difference.