SITL on Linux Map "Unavailable"

Hi
I encountered such a problem with map “Unavailable” . How can I solve this problem?

Regards Mehmet

Mehmet, you can click on top of the window and choose a different map provider like GoogleSat or MicrosoftSat, etc … . The issue you are having is likely that the default provider (OviSat) does not work where you (geographically) are.

You can also change the default map provider on Linux with a shell environment variable, can’t remember exact name at the moment.

1 Like

Mehmet, you can click on top of the window and choose a different map
provider like GoogleSat or MicrosoftSat, etc … . The issue you are having is
likely that the default provider (OviSat) does not work where you
(geographically) are.

We seem to be getting this a lot. Perhaps we should change the default
provider?

You can also change the default map provider on Linux with a shell
environment variable, can’t remember exact name at the moment.

MAP_SERVICE

Keys are here:

If GoogleSat or MicrosoftSat works well in Australia for default SITL Canberra location (works well for me here in US) could be a good idea to change the default.

Dear @OlivierB & @peterbarker

Thanks for support. PS. GoogleSat does not work for me . I am using MicrosoftSat now.

1 Like

Dear @OlivierB & @peterbarker

May I ask a question that is not related to this topic ? I don’t want to create a new topic. what is the reason why this command (gtakeoff) does not work ( “Unknown Command”).

gtakeoff is not a mavproxy command, but a (user defined) alias in a mavinit.scr startup script provided as an example.Check this part of the documentation, looks like you don’t have that file or it’s not in the right place or read correctly?

1 Like

Hi @OlivierB

Thanks for explanation. I understand the issue, but when I flow the instructions, I have same result, maybe it’s from me. I am at the beginning level in these matters.

Regards Mehmet

1 Like

if you maximize the window you can get the “view” menu. Changing my source to Ovi seems to make my problem go away. Is there any way to set a default map source so I don’t have to do it every time?

1 Like

Yes, set environment variable MAP_SERVICE to the service of your choice and that service will be used by default. See Peter’s post earlier in this thread.

I know this is more linux related than SITL related, but how do you set that environment variable ? I’ve just ran

env MAP_SERVICE=GoogleMap

in my console and it worked, I have the new environment variable, but it doesn’t seem to work, the SITL map still starts with the default OviSat.

add

export MAP_SERVICE="GoogleMap"

to your .bashrc for example

The ardupilot simulation in sitl mode, add the home I want in the location.txt file can not be loaded in the map. The console shows “no link”,how do you solve it ?