SITL Generic telemetry

Hi all,

this is my first post, and I’m just starting to learn about Ardupilot and Mission Planner, and drones in general. Hopefully I’m posting to the right forum/topic.

I’m trying to run Ardupilot with SITL on one Ubuntu PC, and connect to it from Mission Planner on another PC. I am able to get everything working (connect between the PCs and run a mission) over a WiFi connection (TCP/IP), but now I want to connect over a generic serial connection. On the PC running Ardupilot SITL I have my serial coming in from /dev/ttyUSB1 (115200, 8 databits, 1 stopbit, no parity) and on my PC running Mission Planner, I have created a virtual serial port at /dev/pts/2. I tested the serial connection between the PCs just using “cat /dev/pts2” and “echo “hi” > /dev/ttyUSB1” and vice versa, and everything works fine.

However, I’m not sure how to get Mission Planner to connect to ardupilot over UART. I have tried running

sim_vehicle.py -A “uartC=uart:/dev/ttyUSB1,115200” --no-mavproxy

and then in Mission Planner, I changed the communication serial port to /dev/pts/2. However, I’m not able to get any connection. It isn’t clear in the Mission Planner GUI the correct syntax for the serial port naming (for example should it be pts/2 or /dev/pts/2). Also with sim_vehicle, I’m not sure how to set the serial port configuration with number of data/stop bits etc. I’m also not sure whether I’m using the correct syntax when I call sim_vehicle, or whether what I’m trying to do is even achievable. Any hints would be more than welcome.

mp1

thanks,
Aaron