Servers by jDrones

Single servo aims the aircraft antenna

I want to use already-available data (osd “home” arrow?) to train a moxon antenna on board the aircraft at the home position. Tracking data- home position etc. could be compared with aircraft heading to obtain pointing data for the antenna towards home position (assuming ground station is at home position).
I’m not a coder so will appreciate advice from anyone who sees the big advantage of this proposed device. Range is powerfully limited by the need to use omnidirectional antennas on aircraft, or any controlled device.
Sevo is available, but will need to be limited to 350 or so degrees. at which point it will retrace to the other side of compass to prevent the need for a commutator, with all it’s problems. could use a moxon or almost any wire-frame directional antenna. The more accurate the pointing, the more gain that can be built into the antenna.
Thoughts, anyone?

sorry that I have nothing to offer, other than my interest in the same thing. I can’t understand why there has been so much development into ground stations but none into this. all the pieces are there.

Its a mystery to me also. No way this could be hard, for a competent
coder. Wish that was me.

I did it once with my rover and an Alfa directional wifi antenna. I mounted the antenna to a 360° sail winch servo (with a long enough extension cable) and used the camera gimbal function to point the antenna at the home location. It worked well enough, but I get around 200m wifi range with an antennatracker with dual directional antennas and omni antennas on the rover, so I did not follow this idea any further.

Now that longer range RC, from a few manufacturers, is relatively inexpensive tracking hasn’t gotten much attention.

Well, I can say that this isn’t an “AntennaTracker” issue :slight_smile:

This is a “mount” issue.

What’s needed is a new MAV_MOUNT_MODE enumeration entry,
MAV_MOUNT_MODE_HOME - and a trivial amount of code to support it as we
already support pointing a mount at a specific GPS location.

We already support most of the existing MAV_MOUNT_MODE options:

If someone is in a position to actually test this, I can knock it up over
the next couple of days.

If you stop to think about it, the use of high-gain tracking antennas on
the airborne end of the link could reduce the need for high-powered
transmitters, of the sort that are suddenly popping up all over the
place. These things walk all over the gps, make for sevo jitter and a
host of nasties. An airborne beam antenna just whips up on many of these
problems.

I haven’t had those issues with the Frsky R9 system but I take your point as some have. I’m using it now on most models; Multirotors, Planes and a Rover. I run them all at 1W adaptive power.

Servers by jDrones