Setting up skid steer out for rover?

I’m still in the process of setting up my Pixhawk 2 with Here+ RTK. I"ve enabled Skid_steer_in: 1 and skid_steer_out: 0
The rover weighs about 200 lbs and so far has really good response with RC transmitter on this setting. I’m still a little confused on the skid steer out if I should set this to 1 or 0 (enable/disable). The rover has 2 rear motors that control all steering. I have been able to launch the rover but having some issues with it turning at waypoints. Just want to know if I should set skid steer out to 0 or 1 before I change any other parameters…Thanks for any input in advance

In 99% of cases SKID_STEER_IN should be 0 and SKID_STEER_OUT should be 1.

Thanks, Grant.

Thanks so much for your help!

I’m assuming this stays true when I’m using 1 stick to control roll (left/right) and throttle (forward/reverse)?
Using a sabertooth 2x25 on mixed setting

If you use the sabertooth mixer, you have to set skidsteer_out to 0. Your rover will then behave like a ackermann steering vehicle, because ardurover does not know about the skidsteering ability. This means no pivot turns in auto modes.

Turned off mixed mode and took some time to reconfigure inputs and outputs to get the proper function in manual mode with skid steer in disabled (0) and skid steer out enabled (1). Tested this evening and it turned 180 degrees from waypoint 1 and went in opposite direction. I’m about ready to toss this Pixhawk2 and here+ into the recycle bin

Could be GPS orientation is incorrect. However more likely is you have the motor output reversed. Reverse the motor outputs and see what happens.

If it still doesn’t work please attach a log file.

Thanks, Grant.

Thanks gmorph. I was thinking the same thing. Will reverse the outputs and see if I can get it straightened out tonight. Will let you know. Had to just walk away from it for a bit and take a break. If no luck i will provide log file

1 Like

Wound up having another issue with the Here+ rover arm/disarm button not functioning today. After some wire inspection etc. I discovered the GPS1 port on the Pixhawk 2.1 is loose and not providing power out to rover properly. It’s already being returned and awaiting replacement. So far my experience with the Pixhawk 2.1 hasn’t been great. Constant compass issues, bad AHRS probs and all this after repeated calibrations…and now this issue. Wondering if it may be better to step down to the Pixhawk from the Pixhawk 2.1 to get away from all the issues since it’s a ground rover and not needing as much sophistication? I do need centimeter accuracy with the Here+ RTK system and not sure if the previous generation Pixhawk can provide that accuracy as well as the 2.1

1 Like

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to know what progress you have made. I’m resurrecting a project that is a track vehicle and using a Sabertooth controller as well as a Pixwawk. I’m curious about this cm accuracy using Here + RTK system? I’d like to talk with you about your project.

1 Like

Hi guys
How did your project and the aim to achieve 1cm accuracies.
I’m very interested if you were able to complete this task