RTL how to set home altitude

Hi

I want to use the RTL as a fail save option.
Currently I create a simple flight plan with one location, close to me as set it at Loiter 100m high. And failsafe on my radio as “auto” as flight mode, this way the plane will return to me, and loiter till I regain signal…

But I dont want to bring my laptop to the field everytime, and since it does create a “home” issnt there a option to make home say 100m high were the GPS first lock signal? I see a lot of people ask about altitue hold, even that would be fine. Since the plane can fly at the altitude the GPS locks home I tried setting home altitude, but it seems it looses the settings once I power down the board and drive to the field.

Maybe its a simple setting, but I cant find it…

Set ALT_HOLD_RTL to 10000 (=100m).

Hi Thanks for the super fast reply

That was the value, I changed it to -1, thats seems to work… it keep the altitude when RTL is selected…

will do some more testing tomorrow morning, once again thanks for responding…

-1 means that the plane keeps the current altitude. That might not be what you want because if failsafe kicks in at - let’s say - only 15m altitude, the plane will try to return to you in a straight line at 15m altitude. If there’s a 20m tree in the way you have a problem.

If you want the plane to circle 100m above the home position, you have to set ALT_HOLD_RTL to 10000cm, so when failsafe kicks in, the plane climbs to 100m, returns and then loiters at 100m until you bring it down.