RSSI distance units and voltage fluctuations?

Hi Tridge

DistRSSIRemain is listed variously as between 17420703m (1742km) and 20236674m (2023km) on the ground and down to 12341m in a short range flight.

Are those values really meters? So a potential theoretical range of 12km for that configuration?

There’s still a noticeable fluctuation of the voltage reported by the MP, I understand there’s a filter that has been put on the voltage, could the damping level be increased for voltage?

[quote=“Graham Dyer”]Are those values really meters? So a potential theoretical range of 12km for that configuration?
[/quote]
I’m not entirely sure of the algorithm MissionPlanner uses for that value, but it is probably the “6dB per doubling of range” method based on the difference between signal and noise RSSI levels (the fade margin, converted to dB).
It is perfectly possible to get 12km from 3DR radios, it is just that most people won’t get that range. I have tested them at over 10km myself.
The actual range is very dependent on the noise levels, and noise varies a lot, so range estimates are approximate at best.

Maybe ask Michael in the Mission Planner forum?
Cheers, Tridge