Redundancy power for Pixhawk

I would like to add a secondary means of powering my Pixhawk by using a Graupner voltage regulator:

logicrc.com/product.aspx?ItemId=P-4126

Will some kind soul look at the lay out below and let me know if that will work ok?

Thanks…

Peter.

Yes, that should work just fine.
and … Don’t forget that the negative is on the top row on the servo ,main & aux, outputs.

Thanks…

My concern is that the rx (Graupner GR-24L) receives power at the moment from the Pixhawk via the single sum lead so by adding the Graupner voltage reg, the rx will have 2 power sources.

Whilst I know that Pixhawk deals with two (or three) power supplies by prioritising, will two power sources to the rx power bus lead to power switching?

I suppose my question should be, can a Graupner GR-24L cope with two power sources without prejudicing its operation which is not really Pixhawk question? Sorry, just came to that conclusion…

Just to add that the Pixhawk vr is set at 5.15v and the rx vr supplies at 5.5v…

What happens if there are 2 power sources to a single power bus with those differing voltages?

Far to complicated for my little brain… :frowning:

Ok, this should work without having two supplies to the rx but retaining redundancy to the Pixhawk and rx…

I was having some issues with the telemetry sensor that could be something to do with my existing VR hence wanting to swap that out in favour of the Graupner version.

I’ve just installed the Graupner VR and connected a 5a and 10a lipo to see what voltage the VR is putting out and using my trusty cheap multi-meter, it tells me ~5.62 volts which is pretty close to the Pixhawk max of 5.7 volts.

Does anybody know what would happen if everything is connected as the layout in the post above and the main power supply tipped over 5.7v? Would the autopilot simply shut down or switch to the secondary power supply?

I can take a reading using MP when she’s back together but an answer to the above scenario would be really helpful, thanks…

Here is a http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-pixhawk-wiring-and-quick-start/ to the APM Pixhawk wiki page.
About half way down the page it shows an example , and there are three power sources connected to the Pixhawk.
Also if the RX is powered from the Pixhawk, ( as opposed to supplying power ), do not try to power anything other than the RX from the RC input port as the current supply from that point is limited.

Thanks for posting, yes I had already read that carefully…

My question has kind of evolved into:

Does anybody know what would happen if everything is connected as the layout below and the main power supply tipped over 5.7v? Would the autopilot simply shut down or switch to the secondary power supply?

I have no idea whether voltage regulators ever spike or even rebound after a hefty drain on a lipo which mine does quite often after pulling nearly 120 amps.

I think that I’ll start a new topic on this…