Quadcopter first flight. Very unstable

Hello everyone,
Finally I am here at stage to fly. I have done Radio, compass and accelerometer calibrations But Got the following issues:
1- After arming the quadcopter, and pushing the throttle, it increases the spin like crazy.
2- Even if try to increase it very slowly little by little, it tries to fly at 70 degrees (vertical) instead of 90 vertical

How should I start. Should I use 4 treads to nail it on the ground and then fly to see which motor is spining more or the mission planner can help?
Questions:
1- is Radio calibration issue:
2- Mode issue. How can the APM help me. Why isn’t stablizing it?
3- Or something else

thank you in advanced for your help :slight_smile:

Based on you comments; Possibliites:

• Loose prop(s)
  • ESC calibration
  • Prop orientation; ie. mismatched frame type relative to prop orientation

[quote=“guy9495”]Hello everyone,
Finally I am here at stage to fly. I have done Radio, compass and accelerometer calibrations But Got the following issues:
1- After arming the quadcopter, and pushing the throttle, it increases the spin like crazy.
2- Even if try to increase it very slowly little by little, it tries to fly at 70 degrees (vertical) instead of 90 vertical

How should I start. Should I use 4 treads to nail it on the ground and then fly to see which motor is spining more or the mission planner can help?
Questions:
1- is Radio calibration issue:
2- Mode issue. How can the APM help me. Why isn’t stablizing it?
3- Or something else

thank you in advanced for your help :slight_smile:[/quote]

@FullScalePilot 2 thank you
the only issue then according to you would be “ESC calibration”.
What does that mean? Do I have to do it in Mission planner or there is something else?
I did the calibration (as I know it) and the it can be armed and disarmed.
Here is my video (NOT from this issue but from PREVIOUS issue)
youtube.com/watch?v=QH9xN9_FyBU
cheers

Your other thread shows that you were doing the esc calibration to arm the quad, you do NOT need to keep doing it.

Try posting up the flight logs (.log or .bin) here.

Hello MarkM,
Would you please clarify:
doe the APM keeps record of error even when I it is disconnected from computer?

As soon as you arm (throttle down, right rudder) the apm/pixhawk start’s logging what it’s doing, stopping logging when you disarm or there is a voltage problem. This is done if the quad is connected to the computer and if it is not connected to the computer.

This log is kept in the apm/pixhawk until you connect it to mission planner and ask it to download the logs to the computer.

Hey MarkmM
I was not able to get the log as I don’t understand it.
Here is my Radio calibration which I suspect might have issue:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GynOPb8BAI[/youtube]

please view the video (4 min) and let me know if I did it correctly.
thank you

This is the Radio to MP calibration. It is likely your TX is not calibrated yet. Therefore the MP calibration will not work.

Are you working through the MP Wiki Setup?
planner.ardupilot.com/wiki/missi … tial-setup?

[quote=“guy9495”]Hey MarkmM
I was not able to get the log as I don’t understand it.
Here is my Radio calibration which I suspect might have issue:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GynOPb8BAI[/youtube]

please view the video (4 min) and let me know if I did it correctly.
thank you[/quote]

I have done all mandatory setup. I do not have GPS module.
My point for posting the Radio setup was if you look, when I move throttle, the Pitch and other radio also changes.
does it have to be like that?

Woo, your radio needs to be corrected. You have some mixing going on in the radio.

Throttle should only effect throttle.

Fix that first before you do anything else.

The radio has channels and each channel can be assigned to anything on the transmitter including multiple switches and sticks.

Mike

Hello,
I was able to change the sittings of Transmitter and throttle affects throttle only.
But when I tried the copter, I just flipped on one side.
The log file is attached.

What radio do you have btw? in your vid you state that you don´t know how to get channel 5 to do anything …

Logging set to low to get any ideas of the issue here.

LOG_BITMASK = 894 too low
Try LOG_BITMASK = 45054 till we get it figured out then change it back to 894.

Mike

Thank you @summX
I am using Turnigy 9X
could not find a manual telling what are the name of each switch. I don’t know those therms like “pitch trim” etc. I need a manual with figure or telling me “right top switch” etc.

Thank you @iseries
to change the settings for log, I went to “Config/tuning”>Advanced Params and could find LOG_BITMASK to set.

Just check youtube for “Pixhawk Turnigy 9X”. It´ll turn up some step by step setup instructions.

Here is the video:
I checked the Transmitter again and it doesn’t fly.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTDvP1HGZs[/youtube]
It just flips.

regardless of the spinning direction, which is correct … your motors are wrong:

Up right No. 1
Bottom right No. 4
Bottom left No. 2
Up left No. 3

I had the same confusion for my setup :wink: when you go into Mission Planner/Initial Setup/ Motor test and click button A to D, top right motor should spin first and then all the others in a clockwise fashion. That would be 1,4,2,3

that was exactly the problem. Thank you and thank others on YouTube who commented on the issue.
Are you saying that I can connect the battery and USB connecting to mission planner? and can test motor spin?

I didn’t know that. But does it show each motor spin separately?
thanks

Yes you can connect USB and battery to test the motors. I did like this:
connect USB, connect battery, connect MP, push the arming switch on the Pixhawk to arm it. Otherwise it won´t let you do anything. On the motor test page there is also a power setting. My motors never turned at 5 percent setting, but with 8 percent they did.

If you press a motor button the motor will spin for 5 seconds or so