Quad rolls on takeoff

Someone please explain why my quad (apm 3.2) rolls on takeoff. Just slightly. Played with subtrim, travel.

This is quad configured for stable mode.

With accelerometers and gyros, this quad should rise straight up when throttled. Why does it veer? How fix?

Here is my quad:

flickr.com/photos/125781425@N05/

Well there are lots of potential reasons, linked to how its setup. Putting trim in from the TX will only make it worse. All trims should be at zero.

[infocopter][/infocopter]

OK, so give me a top 10 list of causes. BTW my configs are factory defaults. Don’t know if there is a way to tune PID on these boards but in the past that has never worked. PID shouldn’t matter in an issue like this. Blades blow down on board, could barometer be affected? Arms are stiff carbon fiber. All motors, esc’s are new.

Your thoughts, please.

Describe the problem you are having. What is the expected verses the observed behavior?

Quad veers without being commanded; should rise straight vertically without roll/pitch

Provide hardware information such as the brand and version of your autopilot, GPS, radio, and compass, as well as any other pertinent details about your setup.

No autopilot. No gps. Transmitter is Spektrum 7. Compass is built in. Frame is carbon-fiber / plywood.

What version of the APM:Copter firmware version are you running?

Firmware is latest and greatest; I would call it 3.2.

For flight issues, provide your dataflash log. Click here for instructions on retrieving a dataflash log.

I’ll get that for you.

@hokie1999,
If you have no autopilot how are you able to use Arucopter 3.2 firmware?
Are you sure you are not using either an APM2.5/2.6 or a Pixhawk flight controller?
Regards,
TCIII GM

Here’s my hardware list

APM 2.6 board
Firmware downloaded via Mission Planner 06.15.2014
Turnigy 30 amp ESCs
Turnigy D2826-10 1400kv Brushless Motor 205 watts
Turnigy nano tech 3000mah 50C Lipo battery
Spektrum DS7X Transmitter
Turnigy OrangeRx Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 6 Ch_2.4Ghz Receiver

Five inch props are balanced.
Board is secured on 1/4 inch thick foam rubber for shock absorption

It is unclear from your description how much roll you are getting at takeoff, but rarely is a quad perfectly symmetric and the board mounted perfectly flat. The result is that upon takeoff, the controller keeps the flight board flat but that does not mean the quad is flat, hence the roll and drift.

There is an auto-trim feature that allows you to fly the quad as stable as you can and it will remember the necessary offsets to cancel the various misalignments.

Another possibility is that until you are clear in the air, the controller is fighting the legs so there is a lot of rolling tendencies which clear out once the chassis is in the air.

Not sure if either of these are related to your issues but they sound related.