QGroundControl joystick control

I have a 3DR Solo and am running QGroundControl 3.5. I have an xbox controller attached to the laptop. I would like to be able to hand off control from the Solo’s sticks to the xbox controller. In QGroundControl, I have enabled and calibrated the xbox controller and can see that QGC sees the input. However, the Solo does not respond to any of the xbox controller inputs and only flies with the Solo controller.

This “may” be possible if you are using the OpenSolo firmware on your Solo which uses the newest version of ArduPilot. The original Solo firmware does not support the commands needed for QGC joystick. I say “may” because I’m not sure what will happen with both the Artoo sending commands and the joystick sending commands. Joystick is normally used with no RC controller. There is no “handoff” mechanism.

Thank you for the response. I was using the Solo to try things out before trying them on a newer octocopter I have ordered which has a Pixhawk cube. When I try this on the newer system, do you know how the handoff works between the joystick and the radio? Which has priority? Ideally, I would like to fly with the xbox controller and only use the Taranis controller if QGC crashes or has an issue. I apologize if this is documented somewhere. I just haven’t been able to find it.

There is some documentation here. See the failsafe action section.
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-joystick.html

Thanks dkemxr. Do you know if there is comparable documentation for QGroundControl?

DonLakeFlyer is the QGC man. But this sounds like an interesting experiment to run on my Rover. I have a game pad that works.I’ll give it a go and see how it works.

Like I said, there is no such thing as handoff between joystick or RC. Joystick if mainly used as an either/or choice.