QAUTOTUNE - VTOL autotune for quadplanes

Unfortunately, I don’t these messages. Here is a link to my bin:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Keqi5GvqoCajovFoEpYCpL1hW6RrUuSl/view?usp=sharing

You never entered QAUTOTUNE mode in that log, which explains the lack of ATUN records.

My bad… That was the wrong log :slight_smile:

I do see similar messages:

MSG, 1633952310, AutoTune: (R) Rate D Down
MSG, 1633952391, AutoTune: Leveling (Angle(Y) 6.5 > 5.0)
MSG, 1633952491, AutoTune: p=0.176930 d=0.022348
MSG, 1633952545, AutoTune: success 2/4

What indicates the completion of qautotune? And, is it possible to get the tune results from the log since it was not saved?

Update: It’s all clear now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

What does the last value in ATUN (ddt) stand for?

That would be the maximum angular acceleration during a “twitch” in deg/sec/sec

Got it… I was able to pull the logs, and it matched the ATUN results.

The ATUN values corresponded to the following changes in the parameters after QAUTOTUNE (for ROLL):
RP → Q_A_RAT_RLL_P and Q_A_RAT_RLL_I
RD → Q_A_RAT_RLL_D
SP → Q_A_ANG_RLL_P
DDT → Q_A_ACCEL_R_MAX

This may be helpful for someone in the future.

1 Like

I am running Arduplane 4.2.1 on a Pixhawk 1 (fmuv2) in a Mini Talon VTOL (4+1). I have done the initial setup and flight tuning and was planing to go ahead with Q_AUTOTUNE. Mode 22 Autotune is selected as one of the available modes, but I can not find any of the Q_AUTOTUNE parameters in the full parameters list in MP? I would like to set the Autotune axis. Am I missing something or is this part of the code removed for this target?

For those looking at QAUTOTUNE, I’d strongly recommend running VTOL-quicktune first. Quite likely you won’t need QAUTOTUNE, and it will be a lot safer on many quadplanes
See ardupilot/VTOL-quicktune.md at master · ArduPilot/ardupilot · GitHub
and a couple of demos here from CUAV:
VTOL Quicktune on a 15kg quadplane - YouTube
Running VTOL QuickTune on a quadplane - YouTube

4 Likes

Thank you for the clarification!

Looks like my board has the 1mb limitasjon and cannot run scripts (like quick_autotune) and q_autotune… Might have to get some new hardware at a point

Can VTOL-quicktune be used for copter-style tailsitters?

yes, I’ve used it on my Swan-K1. It does roll and pitch fine.
For yaw you’ll need to raise QUIK_YAW_P_MAX and QUIK_YAW_D_MAX a lot, as copter tailsitters need very strong yaw to give them roll control in fwd flight.

1 Like

Has there been any software improvements (or suggestions on use of hardware) to the tailstitter landing where motors stay on? I recently had another situation with the props touching the ground after landing and causing damage (miss-timed turning them off).

Hello Tridge, hope you’re well! Thanks for quicktune - saw the videos, really impressive :slight_smile:

Had a query - Does Quicktune for VTOLs require 4.2.x and higher or will it also work on 4.1.7?

Thanks!

it requires 4.2.x or later

Hi @tridge

So I was doing qautotune on mini striver in qloiter mode but pilot over ride error keeps coming even though there was no pilot input

How do I go about this issue

Regards

You probably need to recalibrate your RC. You can check in the log if the RC inputs are in the dead zone around the trim value.

Hi thanks for the response , I changed the dead zone from 30 to 50 and qautotune was successful.

Now left with plane mode autotune followed by airspeed sensor calibration

Works well ------ simple to use and effective.

Hello,

I’ve tried the QUATOTUNE on my Phantom FX61 VTOL and even if I’ve entered this mode directly from QLOITER, it was not holding the position. It holds in QLOITER but flies forwards in QAUTOTUNE. Why could it be so? I have the motors tilted forwards, as advised in the docs. I’m not posting the logs as I had to improve some issues with the build, for example for the first time I’ve seen how a carbon tube was still stiff against bending but completely soft when twisting. OK cross weave needed, replacing…

But I have some questions about VTOL-quicktune. I’ve never run the lua scripts, a good idea to try. However:

-what’s the difference between the quicktune and QAUTOTUNE approach and why should the former be safer? Does it perform “twitching”?
-if it is better, why can’t it be included into the QAUTOTUNE algorithm? It’s much easier to run the functionality already present in the Ardupilot code, less security risk… What are the advantages of the lua script approach? Faster updates? Easier access for independent/test solutions?

1 Like