Power wires on my Iris seem to be hitting GPS

Went to do an inside check and as you can see I am getting some rubbing. I sent an email to support. Adding this so 3DR has additional info to which to create a fix…

That is a known issue caused by too thick foam. Please contact help@3drobotics.com and request a thinner set of mounting foam.

I have the same issue with my Iris as well. I sent 3DR an email yesterday, but I still have yet to hear back from them. Since I’ve been aware of the problem, I’ve done a couple of ‘data collection’ flights as instructed here to measure vibration.

When I get this new foam in I’ll repeat the process and post my results.

We are investigating this problem. As you can see in the cutout, there should be enough clearance. It initially appeared that the foam tape we were receiving from the foam manufacturer was thicker than it should have been. Now we are looking at other potential causes.

Thick Foam
Pixhawk installed too far forward
GPS mounting bosses too tall
Shell not tall enough.

We will post more information as we learn more.

Wouldn’t the i2c cable touching the GPS module affect z axis vibrations. In your picture of the cutout it looks like that cable and possibly the power cable would still contact, transferring vibrations.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks Craig… shall I leave this thread unsolved ??

Craig, I see a difference between the picture of the top hull cover that you posted and the top hull cover of my IRIS.
I appears like on mine the mounting notches for the GPS were not fully ungrated and are therefore longer.

Here is the picture that you just posted with the area highlighted in red:
[attachment=1]3DR.png[/attachment]

Here is a picture of my IRIS with the same area highlighted in red:
[attachment=0]Mine.png[/attachment]

You should see the extra plastic (probably 1mm) .

Hope that helps.

Also looking at the picture that Luminoz posted up a few posts earlier, you can see that the Pixhawk in his case is moved further to the front than the Pixhawk in your picture.

Here is Luminoz picture again with a red line of where the front of the Pixhawk is:
[attachment=1]Luminoz.png[/attachment]

Here to compare the picture you posted with the same red line again (look at the screw and the hole in the top shelf to confirm alignment as well as another red line for where the Pixhawk starts in your case:
[attachment=0]3DR.png[/attachment]

One should also see that moving the Pixhawk to the front (where the other red line is) would make the uBlox connector press right on the Pixhawk I2C plug/cables.

Hope that helps.

in the video from your developers upgrade kit(vimeo.com/90072591) he says to install the pixhawk 75mm from the back edge of the top plate. my pixhawk is around 77mm and the front of my pixhawk looks to be 2mm behind the screws that kanga has referenced in the pictures above.

i however dont think that the pictures kanga posted can be directly compared, as they are both at different angles, neither being a straight on shot so i think that is not a good comparison.

Hello Craig,
in your picture the power Cable is going backwards, but in most delivered Iris’s the cable is going forward then the small space between the GPS Modul and the Pixhawk will not be enough.

i don’t understand why the space was design so small, it’s normal that you need to have security tolerances when design a product like the iris -> mass production.

How is the Pixhawk mounted in the Factory, did you use a mounting device to ensure that the position is exactly like in your model ?

This is a security relevant issue because the aircraft will not fly level if the GPS modul is hitting the Pixhwak (or the cable attached to the pixhawk) Causing the most Issues in AltHold, Loiter, Stabilize.

If it’s help, i measured all thru and this are the results:

Pixhawk heigh 15mm
Foam Heigh 6mm, should it be 6 mm or less ?
Space between the GPS modul and bottom plate 20mm (measured 21mm - 1mm for the edge centering the upper side.

You see that this gives a collision between the GPS modul and the Pixhawk -> 20mm - 21mm = -1mm (the cable connector located on the pixhawk side is not included in this calculation)

A workaround is to turn the GPS modul 90 degrees as the connectors will point away from the pixhawk, this will give 2mm more space. also to replace the GPS mounting screws with flat head screws will give additional clearance there were the cables are located on the pixhawk.
This has worked for me and also for other iris owners. i’ve done a lot of hard testing in all modes and the result was a great arial performance. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
No more strange behaviors.

see here the full story which has cost me almost a full saturday night : viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7626

For the start of a new product like the iris this are small issue which can be corrected, do it a soon as possible and you will have satisfied customers because iris is a great product.

[quote=“Craig3DR”]We are investigating this problem. As you can see in the cutout, there should be enough clearance. It initially appeared that the foam tape we were receiving from the foam manufacturer was thicker than it should have been. Now we are looking at other potential causes.

Thick Foam
Pixhawk installed too far forward
GPS mounting bosses too tall
Shell not tall enough.

We will post more information as we learn more.[/quote]

I haven’t gotten a reply from my email to help@3dr asking about getting thinner mounting foam, so I figured that I would give them a call to see if I could find out what the story was.

I spoke to with Tiffany, who was quite helpful, and said that she would look into getting foam shipped out to me - so that’s good news. I’ll post as I find out more info there.

I pulled off my top shell to measure where my PixHawk is on the top plate. As instructed in the conversion video, my PixHawk is just a shade over 75mm from the tail edge of the top plate. (See Photo 2)

My foam blocks hold the PixHawk at about 6mm above the top plate. (See Photo 1)

Seem that 3DR has stopped shipping the Iris until this issue is resolved. I ordered one Thursday, May 9 and was told it would ship Friday (2-day delivery). Late Friday shipping status was on hold. Called to check and was told that shipping was halted until this issue is resolved.

The GOOD news is, 3DR is working on resolving this - and supporting our community.
The BAD news is, because of the major change from Dev to Consumer versions, they should have re-Beta’d this new configuration, before shipping the Mass Markets. It’s OK though, they are learning, and so are we (all) - sometimes you have to take a step or two back before you can advance forward. I know some people have major losses due to this, but the majority of the community isn’t suffering (in theory). But let’s hope 3DR can make amends with those who’ve suffered more tragically from this error.

Looking forward to some new thinner foam… :slight_smile: I had contacted 3DR a few days ago about this, and they said they are still figuring this out, so it will likely be a bit longer.

I spoke to 3DR cust. service today. I was told that they will NOT be shipping any thinner foam as they do not have any. They are also continuing to research the GPS/compass and Pixhawk interference issue. I suggested that since Craig got the thinner foam issue started, that they should be proactive and post an official retraction of the offer of thinner foam. Not sure if that suggestion was received or not, but it WOULD be good to have 3DR make an official statement on the latest/greatest in regard to the interference issue and/or if thinner foam WILL/WON’T be available.

Here is the latest I was told, this afternoon in reference to an iris that said shipped last thursday, but turns out it didnt really:

“Please do not worry, we have identified an issue and are reworking the IRIS to ensure you have the best system possible. We expect to complete the remediation and ship within the next 3 business days. We are confident that it will not take that long but we want be conservative and set proper expectations”

Ok… will wait to close this thread then