Please help with older Firmware

Hi all…

I have now bought a few APM’s, and I have to say sadly I didnt even know at the time who really makes them, I bought a readymadeRc APM2.X and was so impressed with the RTL functions on my plane, I bought a few from Hobbyking and even more from ebay… the one I bought from Hobbyking was my trusted and knew it worked and always, always brought my ship home…

so I noticed that most of the ebay APM’s I bought all dont work really well… they would glitch and with a little shake of the board it would think its upside down or in a odd orientation, so I sort of just thrown them all in a box in my workshop…
Then I wanting to see if I could use a little glitchy APM in a little baitboat… I notice with ARURover loaded the accelerometers senor status are rock solid… so … flash ARDUPilot… v3.4.0 its once again glichy as hell and would jump around and a little shake would completely confuse the HUB display… so with ardurover its fine, but on Ardupilot its not?? since I’m not a big multirotor fan I never really tried loading arducopter… so I loaded ARDUCopter 3.3.2… and again glichy as hell…

then I loaded Ardupilot v2.68 the oldest firmware I could find on the mission planner… and guess what… its perfect… looking at my box full of abandoned ebay junk I tried the same with the others, and the same results…

so I might have a few cheap APM’s that might just work… grabbing a small easy to fly wing I installed a APM, Elevon mixing on the older firmware… OMW!! what a pain… but managed to get it working…

Questions really is… ( I know its cheap ebay APM’s and yes I got what I paid for)

what changed in the firmware that could caused this? the EKF filter? its all I really can see?
maybe this is just to much for the substandard components china uses.

I want to use the autotune function… the new Delta mixing, and yes, I want to first fly in a lot in a small wing before using it in a bigger foamy ( never a bigger plane )

but first I need to get the accelerometers reading as stable as they are in v2.68 or I’m stuck with old firmware…

An APM board does not support EKF - its only an 8 bit CPU.
I suggest you calibrate the board (run through the MP setup wizard) after you load ArduPilot 3.4 on it. It should work fine.
Thanks, Grant.