Plane 3.9.1beta release

I think you mean QLOITER ?
QSTABILIZE and QHOVER works well. I can test QLOITER this afternoon (UTC-TIME).

Sorry , I wanted to say QLOITER

“It is the new loiter controller from Leonard, inherited from the copter code. It does a better job of smoothing out transitions, as well as providing better pilot control in QLOITER mode.”

Was this a problem in the first beta?

QLOITER with 3.8.5 does it perfectly. But this week I will install 3.9.1 and try again to see differences and I will also comment.

Regards
Atico

Stable “Q_Loiter” with this beta…

2 Likes

What is this new bar on HUD? FC temp?

hud

FW 3.9.1 beta2 CHIBIOS >>> transitions & Qloiter OK

Hey @tridge I dropped 3.9.1 beta2 on a pixhawk1 last night and noticed it overwrote my PIDs to the new defaults from what they were before. I thought this was only supposed to happen when it was a fresh install? Did I misunderstand?

edit: Disregard, it looks like my PIDs got reset to default sometime ago. I wonder if this happened during 3.9.0 beta testing. I have no way to verify because logs prior to that got wiped, so, let’s just not worry about it.

it only does that if you haven’t changed the values from the defaults.
Cheers, Tridge

I’ve just released 3.9.1beta3. This is the third beta for the 3.9.1 release, which is a minor update over 3.9.0. This release includes the following changes:

• fixed a critical safety issue found by Oliver Volkmann, and fixed by Michael du Breuil. The problem could lead to quadplane motors starting on reboot

• fixed a bug where RC failsafe could lead rudder input stuck at the last rudder input value in some modes. Thanks to Michael du Breuil for the fix

• raised OSD thread stack size to 1024 (needed for new OSD items)

Thanks to everyone who is testing the 3.9.1beta series!

Hi Tridge,

With Pixhawk 1:

3.8.5 >>>> RSSI RC (SBUS) on MinimOSD & HUD is OK
3.9.1 beta2 CHIBIOS >>>> RSSI RC on MinimOSD & HUD fixed at 0%

Regards
Atico

One question:

In the transition to copter in AUTO mode in a VTOL _LAND or hybrid RTL (Q_RTL_MODE = 1), the model airplane brakes sharply because it tries to maintain the position (QLOITER) at the moment of the change and this causes the nose to rise a little getting a little aesthetic transition.

Could it be modified in such a way that first it passes to QHOVER until practically it stops due to inertia and at this moment it passes to QLOITER and then approaches Home and descends?

I’ve tried increasing RTL_RADIUS but the effect is the same.

Regards
Atico

Try reducing in transition deceleration.

Q_TRANS_DECEL

Or try reducing the loiter braking acceleration and/or increasing the braking delay. I haven’t tried them personally but i think it should help.

Q_LOIT_BRK_ACCEL and Q_LOIT_BRK_DELAY

1 Like

Thanks Pete,

would it be very drastic to lower it from 2 to 1 or would it be better tenth in tenth?

Shouldn’t do too much harm to lower them quite allot, I would take it easy to start with tho say start of lowering by 10% or so. I would do Q_TRANS_DECEL first and hopefully that will solve your problem.

Summarizing,
If I want to enjoy:

• improved VTOL flight code, with improved transition support and loiter
  • RSSI analog via sbus out

Then I have to install 3.9.1 beta3 NuttX. Is it like that?

New default PIDs are a little too aggressive for flying wings.

Taking off in FBWA default PIDs with a 10mph wind the wing flutters a lot. Other than that it reacts much better to control than previous defaults and similar to what I get after auto tuning flying wings. Is there a recommended setting that I should lower or increase to avoid the pitch flutter?

Thank you.

2 Likes

thanks for testing that! Can you post a DF log of the flight? I’d like to see what is driving the oscillation
Cheers, Tridge

Sorry I disabled the log because the SD card was giving me a hard time. I’ll look for another SD card and will try to reproduce.

thanks very much, much appreciated!