Pixhawk radio calibration failure

While in mission planner I can connect to the Pixhawk via both USB and MAVlink, When I go into the wizard to calibrate my radio, there are no green bars, just empty grey cylinders. I’ve tried a variety of receivers which put out PPM, and I’ve tried a 3DR ppm encoder, none of which have changed the behavior.

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks,

-FPV Aviator

@FPVAviator,
Did you have a slow flashing blue LED on the 3DR PPM encoder?
Have you reviewed these Wiki instructions concerning PPM receivers and the PPM encoder http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-pixhawk-and-px4-compatible-rc-transmitter-and-receiver-systems/ ?
Regards,
TCIII GM

The led flashes slowly and speeds up as I advance the throttle.

@FPVAviator,
According to the 3DR PPM Manual the PPM encoder is working correctly according to your description of the blue LED when you increase the throttle.
I assume that you had the PPM Encoder output plugged into the Pixhawk RC Input since the PPM Encoder was being powered and that you have a version of ArduPilot firmware loaded into the Pixhawk?
Regards,
TCIII GM

Your assumptions are correct. I can connect using mission planning and when running through the wizard I can do everything right up until calibrate radio. On that screen there are no bright green fills inside the cylinders which makes me think the pixhawk is receiving no PPM signal.

The encoder is being powered off the Pixhawk so the connector orientation is correct.

I have experienced this when I’ve powered up the PH and connected to Mission Planner. This was just prior to binding a RX. As soon as I bound the RX the radio calibration screen became functional.

[quote=“FPVAviator”]While in mission planner I can connect to the Pixhawk via both USB and MAVlink, When I go into the wizard to calibrate my radio, there are no green bars, just empty grey cylinders. I’ve tried a variety of receivers which put out PPM, and I’ve tried a 3DR ppm encoder, none of which have changed the behavior.

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks,

-FPV Aviator[/quote]

The receiver is definitely bound since the LED is reacting to the throttle being advanced.
I think there is a mechanical defect in the pixhawk ppm pin.

Been there. Fought that.

Pixhawk worked well for a few weeks before this problem appeared on one of my MRs. I still don’t know what causes it, as I lose the ability to calibrate the radio intermittently. (But I know that the radio was bound because my gimbal inputs still worked.) MP will tell me that the radio is not calibrated, even if it was calibrated a few hours before.

Using EzUHF, sometimes I would re-calibrate the EzUHF PPM and the green bars would appear and calibration succeed.
Other times I couldn’t get green bars during regular setup, but I would get green bars if I used the Wizard.
Sometimes nothing would work.

Following the thread.
Hoping for definite answer.

Have you ever lost control of the Pixhawk while flying? I ordered another one which should be here by Friday. Debating on if I should keep it and hope sbus works or toss it.

Not keen to use a FC that loses calibration.

"Have you ever lost control of the Pixhawk while flying? "

No.

It only happens at start up. Sometimes.