Pixhawk ESC backwards compatability

I replaced a APM 2.5 with a Pixhawk on a 3DR Quad-B. This quad had the older ESCs (pre SimonK). When powering up the Pixhawk the ESCs do not go through their startup beeps. When the Pixhawk is armed the motor do not spin and do not respond to throttle changes. I verified that the ESCs and motors work correctly when connected to an APM 2.5.

I also installed a Pixhawk on a 3DR Y6 frame that has SimonK ESCs. The ESCs and motors worked correctly on this vehicle.

I’m wondering if there’s a compatibility issue with the Pixhawk and non SimonK ESCs?

Pixhawk works with all PWM ESCs.

It sounds like you have not calibrated your ESCs

The calibration procedure is different from APM in that you have to press the Safety button to enable the PWM signal to the ESC.

We tried the ESC calibration on the Pixhawk, but to no effect. The ESC’s do beep on startup, but they never do the final beep like it’s not getting the correct low throttle signal. The same happens during calibration, they beep the entire sequence, but then do not do the final beep when the throttle is lowered to idle.

The only way I’ve gotten the ESCs and motors to respond on the quad was to startup with an ESC connected directly to the RC receiver and then move the ESC throttle cable to the Pixhawk.

Hopefully there’s something simple I’ve missed, will try again tomorrow.

Garrick,
I’m having the exact same problem. Same Pixhawk works fine on my SimonK flashed ESCs but when I go to my 4n1 ESC setup I get the same thing you are getting. Motors won’t spin and if I start at full throttle to calibrate, I get the double beep that it recognized high throttle, but when I lower throttle, it just continues into its programming sequence. These 4n1 ESCs are supposed to be SimonK flashed but I’m not really sure any more; I didn’t think you could get to the programming sequence on SimonK flashed ESCs?
Also, like you, this system worked fine with APM2.5 but won’t work with Pixhawk.

Should add, I’m using Futaba R2008SB and T14SG Tx. The Pixhawk is reading the SBUS signal fine and radio calibrates perfectly in MP. The Pixhawk is outputting PWM (confirmed in MP and with servo attached in place of ESC).

[quote=“Craig3DR”]Pixhawk works with all PWM ESCs.

It sounds like you have not calibrated your ESCs

The calibration procedure is different from APM in that you have to press the Safety button to enable the PWM signal to the ESC.[/quote]

Craig,
Where did this ever get “Solved”?

I have calibrated > 200 ESCs with a Pixhawk. It works fine.
Just remember to press the safety button as part of the sequence

Check this out
youtube.com/watch?v=6kfVusza17I

I was finally able to get the quad to calibrate the ESCs (following the online procedure). Turns out I had not connected the Power/Ground connector from the PDB to the Pixhawk (figured it was unneeded). My guess is that while the power is unneeded, the ground may help reduce noise on the ESC throttle signals?!?

After completing the calibration I noticed that I have to press the safety button almost immediately upon powerup for the ESCs to work. If I wait more than 10 seconds the ESCs give up and will not respond to throttle inputs.

I noticed that the SimonK ESCs seem fine with having their startup sequence delayed until the safety button is pressed (which can be minutes after powerup), but what I’m observing with the older 3DR ESCs is that they seem to have a fairly short timeout for their power sequence. By holding the safety button immediately after connecting the batteries I can make things work, but doesn’t seem ideal. Ideas?

My guess is that while the power is unneeded, the ground may help reduce noise on the ESC throttle signals?!?

It doesn’t reduce noise per se. You need it there as a reference and a return path.

By holding the safety button immediately after connecting the batteries I can make things work

Just be careful to press the button after powering. If the button is pressed before power is applied, you will force an IO firmware update. No big deal but not what you are trying to accomplish.

[quote=“Craig3DR”]I have calibrated > 200 ESCs with a Pixhawk. It works fine.
Just remember to press the safety button as part of the sequence[/quote]

Craig,
I don’t really care what you did 200 times; did you do it 200 times on MY ESC? NO, so don’t assume everyone has your same setup. It doesn’t work with MY ESCs, I’ve probably tried it 200 times myself. And if someone tells me to push the fricken safety button one more time…

Anyway, I solved the problem, I’m replacing my ESCs with ones that I’ve confirmed work with Pixhawk.

I’m not assuming anything. I have yet to see an ESC that does not work with the Pixhawk. Send me a part or send me a part number for your ESC that you are having problems with.

Craig,
It’s an Emax 4 in 1 ESC and I’ll send it to you if you want to give it a try. It worked fine with APM2.5, then I swapped the APM for Pixhawk and nothing. (Pixhawk was only change). Seems inconsistent too as sometimes I get the tone signaling that the ESC recognized throttle Max, but most of the time it doesn’t. Even when it does recognize it, when I drop the throttle (within 2 seconds) the ESC never recognizes this and continues into programming mode as if I never dropped the throttle.
I’ve calibrated all motors directly through my RC Rx but motors won’t spin after arming through Pixhawk.
Troubleshooting steps:
Confirmed there is PWM output with servo hooked to motor channels on PH. (CH 1-4 all put out same output)
Swapped out Emax 4n1 with 4 different ESCs / motors and system worked (with Pixhawk)
Swapped out Pixhawk for APM2.5 and system worked (with Emax 4n1 ESC).
Checked main battery power to ESCs and motors… and PH power from power module as well as BEC power.
Tried one ESC at a time and tried all four at one time.
Checked “Start ESCs in calibration mode on next start up” in Misssion Planner. Tried normal start up as well.
Followed ESC calibration video exactly. Apply power, remove power, re-apply power, arming switch, etc…
Tried hitting arming switch immediately after applying power. Tried waiting also.

Thanks

Please ship it to 3DR in San Diego and I would be happy to test it for you.

[quote]
Craig,
It’s an Emax 4 in 1 ESC and I’ll send it to you if you want to give it a try. It worked fine with APM2.5, then I swapped the APM for Pixhawk and nothing. (Pixhawk was only change). Seems inconsistent too as sometimes I get the tone signaling that the ESC recognized throttle Max, but most of the time it doesn’t. Even when it does recognize it, when I drop the throttle (within 2 seconds) the ESC never recognizes this and continues into programming mode as if I never dropped the throttle.
I’ve calibrated all motors directly through my RC Rx but motors won’t spin after arming through Pixhawk.
Troubleshooting steps:
Confirmed there is PWM output with servo hooked to motor channels on PH. (CH 1-4 all put out same output)
Swapped out Emax 4n1 with 4 different ESCs / motors and system worked (with Pixhawk)
Swapped out Pixhawk for APM2.5 and system worked (with Emax 4n1 ESC).
Checked main battery power to ESCs and motors… and PH power from power module as well as BEC power.
Tried one ESC at a time and tried all four at one time.
Checked “Start ESCs in calibration mode on next start up” in Misssion Planner. Tried normal start up as well.
Followed ESC calibration video exactly. Apply power, remove power, re-apply power, arming switch, etc…
Tried hitting arming switch immediately after applying power. Tried waiting also.

Thanks[/quote]

I confirm your observation. I have also tried to calibrate an all in one quatto ESC (from Hobbyking 25 amps) and there happen indeed a race condition between how long pixhawk starts and lets you activate the safety button and how fast the ESC quit their throttle range calibration mode after having waited for a throttle PWM signal from pixhawk.
3DRObotocs should really correct this calibration procedure so that we avoid this race condition (most of the time it does not calibrate right because most ESCs quit their throttle calibration mode after waiting for a mere 2 seconds for receiving the max throttle signal).
Another issue has to do with the beeps of pixhawk : they happen for so long after plugging in the battery that they mask the beeps of the ESCs in the background. It thus makes it impossible to recognize which beep comes from what (this is not seen on the IRIS because they have specific ESCs).
A ticket should be created for this in the issue list. Craig can you open one or explain me how to open one ? Thx

We talked about this last night on the dev call and stand by for a fix to the problem. We going to bypass the safety switch when the Pixhawk powers up into calibration mode. This actually requires a fair bit of code so it will be a few days but we have a fix in the works.

Hello Graig,

Sorry to say, but to me this problem is not soved yet and I think that I have an ESC -the EMAX 4in1- that’s NOT working with the Pixhawk. :unamused:
I’ve tried for days now, looking on the net for a solution to get it calibrated.
Done the “all in one” and also “the ESC by ESC”.
My RX is calibrated and all the other functions on the Pixhawk are working fine.
So far without any result. :blush:

This is my hardware:
TX: Frsky Taranis (with latest fw)
RX: Frsky D8R-XP on CPPM (so signal pin 3 and 4 are connected by jumper)
ESC: EMAX 4in1
Pixhawk FC with GPS and extrenal Compass (ArduCopter 3.1.5)
Attopilot 90A (in Missionplanner on “other”)
Zippy Compact 4S 4000 mAh battery.

Please can you give me an advice on my problem? :bulb:

Thank you very much in advance,

Paul
(the Netherlands)

Edit:
I “solved” my problem by replacing the EMAX 4in1 by my former Turnigy Plush ESC’s.
So for me the EMAX 4in1 is a NoGo on the Pixhawk… :cry:

Hi Craig3DR/all
Can anyone tell me if this safety switch bypass “FIX” workaround has been implemented.

I am having a very frustrating time with this. Frustrating because i have had them calibrated and flown once, dont ask what happened next.
Trying to re do them now and it does not seem to work.

Here you will find the AC release notes, please check if the change you are looking for has been implemented:
github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/ … eNotes.txt

Yes. That feature has been added into 3.2. rc3 will be out soon