Pixhawk/ArduCopter 3.2.1 not delivering enough to ESC's

Hi

Are you saying you have’t tried with all props yet? I doubt its going to lift off one side with only one prop fitted. Not in stab mode anyway.

That explains why its trying harder on the front right and reducing rear left! the side with the prop fitted will lift a bit and then the flight controller will reduce power to the motor with the prop on it to maintain level.

motor 6 is barely over half throttle.

if you insist on testing this way, maybe acro mode will work better…but that’s a guess…it may still “fight” full throttle. Or try in stab mode but artificially raise the opposite motor so it will try to level the copter.

Yeah I know it’s not going to take off :wink:

I’m mounting the arm so it can’t move at all, so the Pixhawk won’t know what effects it. I tried to move the Pixhawk and yes, this way it gets some more rpm, but still not enough to take off…

I am trying to help but you are confusing me.

You say its tied down so it can’t take off but it doesn’t have enough rpm to take off. How do you know?

Your motor 6 is barely over 50% while the opposite motor is at full throttle. The flight controller is doing something still.

in level flight the flight controller won’t apply the quite same amount of throttle as you see in cal mode, it needs to keep some in reserve for self leveling. I have observed esc cal being much more agresive than normal mode, yet my multicopters fly at 50% throttle or less depending on the copter.

I can only suggest you bite the bullet if you are confident the props are correct direction and motors in the correct place and do a test hop. Then look at how much throttle is require to take off or if you still have an issue taking off. hover RPM should be a fair bit less than full unless its under powered.

You can see the roll moving in your last log, so it does look like its moving under power.

To double check, I just took the props off my little racing quad and cal’d the escs and span the motors up in cal mode and they rev a lot higher than when the copter is level in stab mode. I then fitted one prop and observed what you are seeing, it didn’t rev has hard as it lifted slightly the brain tried less hard, trying to keep level. dropped that arm a good way it span a lot harder.

Hey Stu!

Thank you very much for you help.

I think the problem is solved now. Refitted the Pixhawk and made every wire very very loose and tried a short flight with all propellers attached. It took off like nothing and everything was ok. I guess I concentrated on the RPM on the single motor too much, and all there really was to it, was those goddam vibrations. Guess that the frequency of those were just right to make it go crazy… I’ll check how much throttle was needed for hover tomorrow and download the logs. Thanks again!

Regards
Richard

Cool beans. Yeah let us know how you get on.

sent from my phone so apologies for any typos

It’s flying!

Tested the flight time today in hover and got around 9 min. Played with altitude hold mode which was good, but it didn’t want to go in position hold. Loiter was very unstable. Hoping it’s just a calibration/tuning issue…?

The RCOUT’s are still shaky when you look in the log, too many vibrations?

My log is 3.6mb… Any suggestions?

Regards
Richard

Nice! If alt hold is OK its probably not vibes but would like to check the log. If its too big maybe use Dropbox or some web space if you have some.

Here’s the log

dropbox.com/s/auovw9xbicn4g … 5.bin?dl=0

Checked the wiki which says they removed the position hold function in AC 3.2 so no wonder it didn’t work…

I don’t know if you can see it in the log, but it was yawing from side to side quite slowly. It is a big octocopter (tarot ironman 1000) so maybe it’s a PID related issue.

Also I use a secondary compass which is integrated with the GPS module so it’s placed higher than the Pixhawk. When I calibrate both compass I get an offset of -147 -517 -66 on the second compass… Is the orientation wrong???

Regards
Richard

Also, the loiter mode was very unstable when engaged. Check the log, DVelX vs. VelX and Y was very stange…

Is this compass related? Hoping it’s not CompassMot… I’m powering the Pixhawk through the AUX out port because I’m running on 6s and don’t have an AttoPilot yet, and I can’t do CompassMot without monitoring battery current…

Should I try to do an AutoTune flight? The wiki says warning since I’m using SimonK firmware on my ESC’s and the KV’s are only 320…

Flew it a bit today and played with the PID’s. Log:

dropbox.com/s/a0iqvbbchh5sz … 3.bin?dl=0

Got loiter to work and recalibrated the compass, but the offsets are still -127 -476 50…

Look at my yaw curve, what the heck is going on?

Hi,

Looking at your last log.

Your yaw may be due to a slight imbalance with clock wise and anti clockwise motors. Clockwise are being driven faster, this is probably due to a “twisted” motor (one or more). if one or more are twisted it creates a torque that the flight controller has to fight. It doesn’t take a lot of misalignment to cause issues. See if you have a misalignment before tuning yaw.

yaw doesn’t look terrible considering though, the values wrap from 359 to 0 if that is what is worrying you?..that is normal. It is slightly oscillatory but try and sort the twist out first. might need a bit of tuning after that if still osculating.

MAG2 is the pixhawk onboard compass and will probably see large offsets due to its proximity to wiring. mag (1) offsets look nice.

vibes look good.

yeah position hold is now replace with pos hold, you will need to check you have the latest mission planner to see it in the list. It uses a different mode number.

Great! I’ll try to realign the motors. Good that the yaw is normal when it’s jumping like that, and that my compass isn’t broken or something.

Thank you very much!

What do you think about autotuning the copter? SimonK firmware and KV 320…

Regards
Richard

Hi

With what I have seen of simon k and low kV it is worth trying to test for synch issues I think before autotuning. Have a search on testing methods. I haven’t done it but it probably involves direct connection of an ESC to the rc and the quickly increasing throttle and checking for issues like stuttering or failing to carry on spinning etc.