Pixhawk and Spektrum Setup (best option)

I’m planning on buying the 3DR Pixhawk for my airplane (that already flies well) and will be connecting it with my Spektrum radio equipment. I already have a 6ch Spektrum receiver with satellite. From 3DR’s website (general and Spektrum specific instructions), I noticed that there are a couple different ways I could connect my receiver and I’m wondering feedback for what you think is the best option?

(In no particular order):
[ol]
[li]Connect only the DSMX Spektrum satellite to the Pixhawk[/li]
[li]Connect the receiver with the satellite port to the Pixhawk and not use the satellite antenna (my receiver only has one satellite port). [/li]
[li]Use both the Spektrum main and satellite antenna (to retain the diversified antenna), and then use the PPM Encoder board to connect to receiver channels to the Pixhawk.[/li]
[li]Finally, I for about the same price as the PPM Encoder could buy an OrangeRX receiver that received had two satellite output (plus it also has S.Bus so there are multiple connection options)[/li][/ol]

I would prefer not to have to buy something else, but I’m worried that my receiver is a short antenna—because it was designed to work with two—that it might reduce the range. My initial thought would be option #2 or #3 above.

Thanks!
James

Hi

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, and my option was to use the OrangeRX receiver connected via the SBus to the PixHawk.

I tested using only the Spektrum satellite but reception was better with the OrangeRX alone (long antennas), and even better using both the OrangeRX and the satellite connected to the OrangeRX. My transmitter was the DX9.

Eventually I decided for other reasons to switch to a Taranis…

good luck

Luis

[quote=“jpegjames”]I’m planning on buying the 3DR Pixhawk for my airplane (that already flies well) and will be connecting it with my Spektrum radio equipment. I already have a 6ch Spektrum receiver with satellite. From 3DR’s website (general and Spektrum specific instructions), I noticed that there are a couple different ways I could connect my receiver and I’m wondering feedback for what you think is the best option?

(In no particular order):
[ol]
[li]Connect only the DSMX Spektrum satellite to the Pixhawk[/li]
[li]Connect the receiver with the satellite port to the Pixhawk and not use the satellite antenna (my receiver only has one satellite port). [/li]
[li]Use both the Spektrum main and satellite antenna (to retain the diversified antenna), and then use the PPM Encoder board to connect to receiver channels to the Pixhawk.[/li]
[li]Finally, I for about the same price as the PPM Encoder could buy an OrangeRX receiver that received had two satellite output (plus it also has S.Bus so there are multiple connection options)[/li][/ol]

I would prefer not to have to buy something else, but I’m worried that my receiver is a short antenna—because it was designed to work with two—that it might reduce the range. My initial thought would be option #2 or #3 above.

Thanks!
James[/quote]