Pixhawk and Spektrum AR9020 Receiver not communicating

Hi,

I have a Spektrum AR9020 receiver connected to the Pixhawk RC IN port using a PPM Encoder. The receiver is receiving power from pixhawk (as the receiver light is up), and i managed to bind the receiver to my transmitter (Spektrum Dx6) while powering the receiver with pixhawk (Pixhawk is powered with a power module). So i feel that the PPM Encoder is not broken. However, when i check through Mission Planner under radio calibration section, it seems pixhawk is not receiving any signal from the transmitter.

How can i get the transmitter to communicate with pixhawk? Any advice? I have a few questions that may be the reason why it is not working.

1. Does Spektrum AR9020 gives out PWM signals? As the PPM Encoder needs PWM signals input and gives out PPM signals which is needed by Pixhawk. So, maybe the receiver is actually giving out PPM signals? I cant seem to find out what type signal this receiver is giving out.
  2. Is there a settings of Pixhawk that i may need to change? Like maybe activate the RC IN port or something through Mission Planner?
  3. Is it really just a simple connection? (eg plug in receiver to ppm encoder, the plug ppm encoder to pixhawk RC IN, then bind). Or is there more to it?

Thanks,
An Amateur RC Plane Electrician.