Pixhawk 2.1 gyro health

Hello,
Ive been working with ny new Pixhawk 2.1 on the bench
Its been atrached to an 800mm helicopter for a frame. What i keep getting in MP while i test and tune is a message stating “bad gyro health” in red lettering. Ive done calibrations of the accelerometers and compass and all seemed well.
It should be noted that a reboot after warming up does to remedy the issue.
I appreciate any input as im quite new to the system.
Thanks,
Tim

Nevermind, this particular problem seems to have been solved.
Tim

How has it been solved? I’m experiencing the same problem.

Oliver,
When I went through the initial install of firmware, I thought everything went well, but alas I was mistaken as the unit somehow ended up with 3.4.6 vs 3.5. I flashed to a Rover firmware, then back to 3.5 Copter Traditional Heli frame and calibrated everything being “super careful” to not move the unit when doing the accelerometer calibration as it seems very picky in that department.
Anyways, long story short, with the wrong firmware installed I got bombarded with “bad gyro health” messages. With 3.5 copter, all is good.

My specs: Firmware Copter 3.5 RC4, Frame type Traditional Heli, Pixhawk 2.1, Here GNS “I’m using the mag on the Here and have disabled the internal compass’s”.

I have read somewhere that sometimes that message can pop up if the IMU isn’t heated up to temperature and that a reboot can help, but personally after the re-flashing of the firmware all is good on my setup.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Awesome, I’ll see if reflashing after switching to Rover does the trick. I’m fairly certain I was using 3.5 beta, but I’ll double-check tonight.

Thanks a lot!

Oliver,
In all honesty, at the time I could have sworn i was using the correct firmware but in my haste to get it up and running, i forgot to “check the box for beta firmwares” in Mission Planner during the install. So when i clicked on the helicopter graphic and and installed the firmware it went with the most recent stable release for copter, 3.4.6. :confused:
I dident even think that, “3.4.6”, would run on the Pixhawk 2.1 so as i said, i was very confident it was correct. It was not correct, and furthermore the firmware loaded and seemingly calibrated but had many quirks.
At that point i flashed another firmware like “rover”, deleted my settings/parameters in storage to eliminate any issues there, and re-flashed through Mission Planner taking care to select beta firmwares this trip. After a proper calibration all is well with none of the errors.
Tim

Yep, worked for me! Thanks a lot.

I’ll finish the rest of the setup tomorrow when I get my receiver and hopefully get that bird up in the air asap.

Oliver,
That’s great you got it working, i’m glad I could help! It really seems to be an amazing piece of hardware, i’m glad I chose it vs other commercially available options for a helicopter. Definitely feel as though I made the right choice.
Tim

1 Like

I have followed the suggested protocol:

Installed beta version of ArduCopter 3.5rc5; installed Beta Version of Mission Planner; I have no issues with EKF, Gyro or GPS.

So fat it has been a smooth process.

Congratulations and thanks to all the development team.

Awesome glad to hear it. Success is a good thing! Admittedly, after i got the process down of selecting the right firmware and MP everything went smoothly as well on my end.
Tim