Pay for 22 motor order diagrams for Copter wiki (again) [Approved]

CCSA is the wiki license, so it should be that.

Is this compatible with MIT?

The reason I’m asking is that I was going to add these kinds of diagrams into our prototype web GCS. It’s MIT licensed, so I can either use these diagrams that you produce if they’re compatible, or as an alternative I could have a go at creating the diagrams/graphics (for free!) and if you liked them then you could use them. It would depend if you could/would use MIT licensed artwork, although I’d certainly be open to dual licensing them if that would make it easier.

IANAL but I don’t see any conflict between MIT code and linked CCSA artwork.
They’re both basically attribution licenses, and neither consumes the other.

Great idea. Let the user choose.

I know it is not pertinent to thread but i’d like very much to beta test your web CGS, really hope it supports rc_override for joystick :slight_smile:

@fnoop
I second what @anon67614380 said could you please elaborate on your web based GCS? Sorry for the off topic post. I also agree with letting the community decide which motor diagrams they like better, considering this is a community driven project anytime you can seek the input of the vast amounts of folks using it I believe that everyone wins. Of course there is always someone not happy but tis’ life eh!

Sorry to hijack this proposal thread. I’ve realised I need to do visuals throughout the interface so I’m going to produce these diagrams in 2d and 3d anyway. If Ardupilot doesn’t think they’re rubbish and wants to use them I’m happy for you to do so - I’ll aim to get concepts out within the next couple of weeks.

Re: web gcs, we’ve finally got a bit of momentum going and making good progress but we’re still working down at the data/api level so nothing to see yet. Hoping to have a very basic prototype of the interface within a month or two (but been saying that for about a year now). We’ve had interface components working for nearly a year so fairly confident the basics won’t take that long. Will post something in the forum when we have something to look at.

Leo (the guy doing the 2D designs) is nearly done - probably just another day or two and then I’ll put them on a trial wiki page so we can do a final review.

1 Like

Re the file formats we want. How about .png and .eps formats? Anything else?

Sorry, I just don’t know what formats these types of diagrams normally come in…

those two are probably enough but it’s pretty common to get the .ai as well (if the drawings are done in adobe) or xcf (if done in GIMP), which are the raw source files.

You’ll ideally want .svg to display on the wiki, but as @james_pattison says you definitely want the source vector files - these are the most important as without them you can’t make any future updates. The vector files are your .c files, your .png are like your compiled binaries :slight_smile:

1 Like

SVG (or vector of some form if at all possible). The fact that you can’t print them out at a reasonable size is rather frustrating at the moment.

Here’s a mockup page with the new 2D images ready to go (I think). All feedback welcome!

EDIT: I can provide a link to those who want to see the original images.

1 Like

Looks fantastic, great job. Thanks :slight_smile:

The diagrams are live now, thanks!

Are the source vector files available anywhere?

Fnoop,

Yes, I’ve put them here:

Hey @rmackay9 thanks for posting those files. The .eps files seem to be exported curves rather than the original artwork, so they won’t be useful for updating, altering etc in any way - eg. extending to other vehicle types. Is it possible to get the original artwork, which would normally be something like .ai (Illustrator), .xcf (gimp) or .afdesign (Affinity Designer)?

I opened some with inkscape on Linux and Illustrator on windows and the eps files I tried (didn’t check all) could open fine allowing for manipulation of individual vector objects. Perhaps the program you are you using?

1 Like

Yes but do you have the vectors layered or grouped properly? If I open eg. the Dodeca Hexa, I see a thousand vector curves in no particular order, no layers, no text (just point curves exported from original text glyphs). This doesn’t look like original artwork, but exported flattened vectors - like generated assembler instead of the original .c file :slight_smile:

I’m using Affinity Designer, perhaps it’s just not importing the .eps properly, but what I see isn’t maintainable artwork. The designer presumably has illustrator (or whatever software was used) files that they could give us.