Servers by jDrones

Opensource, color, PictureInPicture capable OSD for ArduPilot

osd-pip-color

(Andras Schaffer) #15

It was used (and still used) in quad video matrix switches, and I think the number of switches sold is huge :D. I expect to have first public beta batch of boards to be ready in the second half of may.

(davidbitton) #16

great.

Post must be at least 20 characters.

(pyn) #17

Don’t take me wrong… I love the concept and the demo flight video, but unfortunately you’re right, this is an OSD that will probably cost more than the flight controller itself so it is not for my pocket…

I’ll still follow the project closely and will wait for the price announcement… maybe I’m wrong about it!

(Andras Schaffer) #18

The price will be less than 200 usd and definitely more than 150. If you compare it to the cost of a Cube I think it is feasible.

(Marc Dornan) #19

It is totally what is expected. With Ardupilot people do think $12 minimOSD. For me I really think PIP would take FPV to another level. So I am happy to pay. If it is successful then I am sure hobbyking or banggood will lower the cost.

Thanks for blazing a trail.

Now if this could be integrated with EZ wifibroadcast that would be sweet! I know the resolution is SD so it may not be feasible.

(pyn) #20

What’s the power consumption of the OSD?
I’m wondering how many mA does the video processor beast suck up…

Can you post some current measurements?

(Andras Schaffer) #21

Max power consumption is around 1.8Watts

(Marc Dornan) #22

The more I look at this to better it seems to have wing cameras viewable in PIPs.

As regards inspiration for OSD features have you looked at the feature set of probably the best MinimOSD fork

Will we be able to configure the display with the same features as exist in the latest firmware for MinimOSD? Or is the graphical nature of the display such that it is harder to do this?

(Roman Ryabyy) #23

Interesting project. What will be the ~price for the board ?
I have not enough knowledge’s in the video subsystems, so have simple questions:
a) will simple analog video quality improved ?
b) will it be possible to connect more sensors/peripheral to osd ? such as some boards to controll battery each cell voltage, etc

(Andras Schaffer) #24

-Approx 150 usd
-Video quality will not degraded, some sharpening and post processing options are available.
-No, strictly MavLink.

(Jakob Schmidt) #25

Hey, any news on this?

(Andras Schaffer) #26

yepp,sourcing parts for the first batch… code is completed cleaning up to make it publishable…

(Christian Labeck) #27

Is there a chance to get a prototype for evaluation in the meantime?

(Asim Javed) #28

I am a little confused here ! Did you use another chip like max7456 for text overlay ? Or you have used built in OSD features of TW2837 ?
Actually I have developed a Quad mux using TW2837 and Atmega32u4 successfully, However i am stuck at osd .Any Help ?

(Andras Schaffer) #29

Hi All !

It’s been a while. I was trying to sourcing components for the first prototype run, but it seems that things not as easy as it seemed first. I had a couple of shipments from China, which contained wrong or counterfeit chips, fake voltage regulators and so on… The issue is that sourcing chips from large vendors like mouser or farnel makes the whole thing unreasonably pricey, unless you make at least a 150-200pcs in one run. This is definitely outside of my comfort zone for investing money.

This does not mean that I’ll abandon the project (since I use it on multiple machines in work) but will not build and sell the hardware. However as I promised I release the source code and hardware design and will update them with all the developments that I make. Perhaps some vendor will make the hw.

The hw design and the code located here : https://github.com/EosBandi/OSDeluxe

HW will be updated to use paralell connection to the 2837 instead of I2C, code already updated to support this and working on a ratnest proto board :smiley:
If you have questions just let me know.

(Andras Schaffer) #30

Asim, see the post above for the source code. It uses the 2837 OSD for displaying text and graphics. However I think the Atmegs32u4 will bee too slow to achieve any usable osd speed.

(Asim Javed) #31

Thanks for help ! My requirements for OSD are only limited to some labels and time display. Refresh rate of 2 HZ would suffice.

(Yssaril) #32

Have you thought about maybe using kickstarter to see if there is enough demand to do a large production run? That way you wouldn’t have to invest your own money

(Andras Schaffer) #33

Well, in my country crowdfunding is a dead end due the stupid taxation laws, let alone the VAT is 27%…plus there are other fees and taxes that makes the whole process non profitable, unless you sell hundreds or thousands.

(Yssaril) #34

do you have a bill of materials for all the parts? I’m thinking of trying my hand at making some for personal use by hand