Omnibus F4 V5 & V6 Setup - Application Race Quad

Hy I’M MATT.

I have a question. I’d like to find out about the Omnibus F4 V5. Which firmware file can I install?
V6 maybe?
Thank you for your choice.

Hi Viktor

Hi Viktor,

You want the omnibusf4pro build. A link for the copter stable release is Here for you.

Matt

Hi IAMMATT,

Could you please share your final PIDs? Including Stabilize P and if any specific configuration related to the flight behavior ?
No matter how hard i try i can’t get a small quad to fly well :frowning:

I’m using Omnibus F4V6 and Ardupilot 3.6.8.
But I can not get SBUS to work on the SBUS pin or SUMD work on RX6 or RX1.
Only PPM works on the LEDSTRIP pin.
What do I do wrong?
I know an earlier version did detect SUMD, but I think it was an early 3.6.0 RC?

After more testing I found out SBUS is working on LED_STRIP pin, like PPM. But SUMD seem not to work.

Hi Ralf,
Are you trying to connect to the SBUS and UART 6(something like GPS on UART6)? If so, I don’t think this will work. I think I am correct in saying that for SBUS to work the hwdef.dat file applied an inverter to the pins that also affects UART 6. See this part of the HWDEF.dat.

I have never used SUMD but from doing a quick google I found that it does not require an inverter. I think the LED pin and SBUS pins are set up for SBUS, so SUMD wont work unless you modify the HWDEF.dat file here.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think that might be the issue anyway.

I am happy to make the modification and send you a built .apj file, to see if that fixes the issue, if you are not comfortable with doing code builds yourself.

I found this issue. Does it maybe have to do with this one?

I don’t really understand the HWDEF.dat for the OmnibusF4V6, because SBUS seem to work on the LEDSTRIP pin, which is a TX1 pin, not UART6. At UART6 with or without converter SUMD does not work. It looks like there is choosen another software solution for SBUS instead of the hardware solution on RX6.
GPS seem to work only on UART6 and I was able to get the Rangefinder work only on RX4.
This is all fine for me, but it would be nice, if SUMD could work, too.
In case you would make me a special build for testing for me, please set the IST8310 compass address to 0x0C for this build, too.

Try this:

arducopter.apj (775.2 KB)
in mission planner.

It is a Copter build for omnibusf4v6, on master. I have set the compass driver address as requested, and changed to hwdef file for the LED pin to pullup high instead. I’m not sure if it will work, but its worth a try. Connect your SUMD line to the LED pin.

It might well be the issue you posted above. If it that issue, I don’t think it has been fixed yet.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks. I will try beginning of next week. In case it would not work it maybe a solution to configure the LED pin to SBUS and the RX1 pin to SUMD. Then there would be only one software needed for both receiver protocolls and maybe there could be realized a receiver switching in case one of them would be in failsafe.

Tested it already today. Changing the pull up did not help. Still only SBUS is detected, SUMD not.

SBUS is inverted and SUMD is not inverted signal. I don’t know, if this could be changed in the F405. If this is not possible, I would suggest to use RX1 instead for SUMD

Hi Guys,

It seems that currently you are mostly talking about the telemetry right now. But in the beginning of the post you were actually referring to compass calibration issues (I was really looking specifically for that), so I hope you don’t mind me asking, if anyone had any issues calibrating a compass in OMNIBUS F4 Nano V6?

So I’ve installed the latest stable version of Ardupilot for the F4 Nano V6, and connected my Matek M8Q-5883 GPS (which already comes with a mag).

I’ve soldered:

• SDA (GPS) to RX3 (FC)
  • SCL (GPS) to TX3 (FC)
  • RX (GPS) to TX6 (FC)
  • TX (GPS) to RX6 (FC)

When I start the on board calibration, when is about to reach 100% it resets to 0%. I’ve tried to relax the calibration to be more permissive, but it always gives me the same result.

Any ideas what I could be missing. I normally use BF, so my knowledge of ardupilot is kind-of limited.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Carlos,

Did you fix your problem in the end? I have had no-end of problems with compass calibrations in the past. I don’t have a ‘silver bullet’ answer for how to get it to work. You obviously have your compass connected correctly otherwise the compass calibration wouldn’t start at all. A few common checks that I try are below:

• Make sure your compass and flight controller are correctly aligned. Note that the board alignment arrow doesn’t always match the silk screen on the board, and they do sometimes vary between AC and BF. I have the same compass as you so can tell you that the compass orientation matches the printed arrow. I don’t have a nano fc but I know that its bigger brother the F4 V6 the board orientation is does not align to the same direction as BF.
  • Make sure mission planner is up to date.
  • Switch off all other compass drivers other than the one for your compass using COMPASS_TYPEMASK parameter (note that a reboot is required for this to take effect).
  • Switch to master firmware to see if it is an issue that has already been fixed but hasn’t trickled down to stable yet.

quick question maybe you can help. I have been trying to figure out how to get my dsmx rc input working on the omnibus f4 v6. I assumed it needed to be on tx1 according to this page: https://blog.dronetrest.com/omnibus-f4-v6-flight-controller-guide/
what I am now wondering is do I need to set something in apm or do I need to change this hwdef file so that the board uses ppm?

I don’t use Spektrum gear so I haven’t done anything with DSMX, thus I don’t have a complete answer for you. I do know that others have had problems getting it working.

That link you posted is for betaflight/inav. Ardupilot often does things a bit differently to those, so I would be careful following that guide.

Have you tried soldering to sbus/rc-in pins and setting BRD_RADIO_PROT to 2?

thanks for the quick reply. And no I have not changed the radio protocol. I will be able to check in a hour when i go home for lunch.

I changed the board protocol and no luck with it set to dsm2/dsmx I have gotten these receivers to work with ardupilot using bbbmini/pocketpilot and navio2. I dont know if the note mentioned on the link above regarding ppm still applies. it mentions setting things to half duplex. However the settings for that seem to be a slider and I dont want to assume that half way is half duplex.
Made sure it was connected to tx1 looking at the hardware definition I would assume that is used for rcinput.

Blockquote https://i0.wp.com/blog.dronetrest.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Omnibus-F4-V6-resources.jpg?w=1835&ssl=1

saw this as well so going to try this when i get back home

RC input is to the LED pin on this board running Arducopter.

Edit: Sorry, that’s for the Nano V6.

Hi IAMMATT,

I should have answered before but in the meantime I was on holidays and away from this build.
I was trying to do the on-board calibation since the “Live Calibration” didn’t seem to be available in the new version of Mission Planner but after all there’s a way to still calibrate the the compass using Live Calibration, which is holding CRTL key while clicking on the “Compass Calibration” in the Mandatory Hardware. This will actually display once again the Live Validation which allowed me to calibrate, “successfully” the compass.

I did contact Matek and they told me:

“It is neither FC nor compass module issue.
Try “live calibration””

So… I did and it worked…

Hi @IAMMATT, Has this happened in the meantime? :slight_smile:

@IAMMATT with the omnibus f4 v6 aio should I be using the labeled pads on the board to set it up? I have been trying to figure out what port on the v6 board I should be using for sbus.