Noob looking for starting direction, with a parrot disco

Hi all…

Just bought a Disco for my son, but I know that quickly I will be playing with it more than he will… Just starting to get an idea of the mammoth learning curve needed to get my head around all of this, used to fly rc planes back in the analogue days… Looking to see if someone can point me in the right direction, especially as I have some self-imposed limits in the digital world.

I do not use;
Google, microsoft, facebook, playstore or any of the corporate giants out there. Not here to preach, dont believe in that either, but trying to find open source flight software (Ardupilot obviously) and still avoiding all those big companies leaves me repeatedly hitting brick walls… The freelight pro for instance that is recommended by Parrot turns out not to work at all without linking to playstore… My son is going to give that a go, while I try and find alternatives that, if successful, he will also migrate to…

Which gives me the 1st problem, am I correct in thinking that my son cannot use the freeflight pro software if I configure the Disco for Ardupilot? My very limited understanding at this time is that I will be reconfiguring the chuck for Ardupilot… yes? Ideally, I could toggle between the 2 until we both settle on Ardupilot…

Ahh… with more and more reading of previous posts (apologies for bringing up previous subjects) I have found that the Disco does not require either/or modification and that the chuck can accomodate both Ardupilot and freeflight pro… found this post; https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/ardupilot-disco-filesystem/26232/2 which tells how only the older models needed more intensive file modifications…

Will keep on reading as many posts as I can… Maybe ought to mention that both myself and son use Linux (Ubuntu, MXlinux and Manjaro) and my son is quite good at coding…