Nimbus Tricopter VTOL

Hi Butch,

Your log link didn’t make it properly. It shows up as a 1K file size called “2019-11-21 crash 09-08-36.bin.jpg”.

Planes like to fly and copters like to hover. A plane can fly over a much larger area than a copter can hover over. So a VTOL is meant to hover briefly and mostly fly. It requires more energy to keep a plane in place hovering than a similar copter in size, but a plane can fly farther on less energy.

When you test hover, do you ever connect to the telemetry via a table, phone, or laptop, to see how many satellites you have or your HDOP value? It is also important to read or listen to the messages coming from the flight controller. If you have a FrSky Taranis or Horus, this information can be presented right on your transmitter screen, including a mapping image of where you are flying. Something to consider as you expand your horizons…

Good Morning Greg: I have a 3DR telem raido i had purchased 4-5 yrs ago i tried it on a tablet and on a laptop but due to me being colored blind i can’t see the screen so i got them Craft and Theory things for my larger Drones that use Pixhawk FC but lately i get error messages from them so mostly i just use the Voltage sensor’s that i use for seeing all the cell voltages to tell me when i should land, after reading your posts about your Horus Tx and seeing that screen and that app you have on it well i was going to get it until i destroyed my first Nimbus and i blew another 600 usd so that kinda shot that idea down but ! the Birthday coming in June LOL and that setup your showing is really awesome looking and kinda unbelievable WOW, ok sorry to ramble on i’ll try to send the log again https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lMMODvWC6ccLZmzW80Nez4y9JzmAKnIX/view?usp=sharing https://youtu.be/S7H5Z3hr6wI and this was from my wife’s cell phone, Thanks Greg. B.K

Butch,

The only bad thing I found in the log is that you have ARMING_CHECK set to 0. You should change it to 1 and it will be much safer. Since you are not using a GCS, the ARMING_CHECK will make sure many things are proper before you take off.

Cheers!

Hi Greg: Thank You for the info i changed it to 1,and i’ve gotten to practice Q-stab,Hov and Loiter 3 days in a row and now we have a cold front and higher winds coming in.So I showed my wife your Tx setup and how it was like having a Ground Station on your Tx and it has a colored screen which may help me see the info much better also what is that EACHINE attached to the top of the Tx?I’m trying to look up all the item’s i’m going to need to get to emulate your setup, so any info on your setup will give me some knowledge to study up on. Thanks again Greg. B.K

Butch,

Here are the resource links for the Yaapu telemetry. The designer, Alex Apostoli, is an incredibly intelligent and polite guy. He monitors his thread below quite often for questions and feedback.

Keep in mind that my suggestion was not meant to drive you nuts, but based more on the fact that you don’t normally use a tablet or laptop when flying so why not have all the main information sent right to your transmitter.

Thank You Greg: I’ll be checking these resources out, again thanks B.K

Hi Greg: I’ve been reading and watching Video’s ALOT, only to find out that the mapping feature on the horus is only available on the Horus or T16 Jumper Tx and the Flight Deck is about the same as the Yaapu Script and the yaapu also needs a telem converter so since i have several flight deck Telm converter’s i went out and got one and put it on the VTOL and got it working great,but i really love that mapping feature.
Greg i installed the flight deck telem converter and tried to also put the 3DR telem radio on the pixhawk and when i did my compass shut down ? it went from having 16 sats to nothing and when i un plugged the telem radio everything worked fine again do you have a clue? what i’m asking is do you have a telem converter for the yaapu script and also use a telem radio for a tablet or laptop? Thanks B.K

Good work.

The Telemetry radio may be swamping the GPS reception. Put the telemetry antenna farther away from the GPS module. Another approach is to raise the GPS antenna like on my Freeman VTOL below.

You can also get the same effect by lowering the telemetry module like I did on my Nimbus below. On the middle right hand side, you can see telemetry module under the fuselage.

P.S. Lots of edits on this post. With each sip of coffee, I got more and more awake. :grinning:

1 Like

Hello everybody !. Sorry for the stupid question. How to disable servo aileron and elevator in hover mode? I can not find this option in the mission Planner
Thanks in advance.

Not 100% sure, but try turning weathervaning off. But actually, it helps to keep the aircraft level and stable, so better to keep them working.

Disabling the weather did not solve the problem

As far as I know, this feature is working as designed and cannot be disabled. From the WiKi,

If you transition from a fixed wing mode to a QuadPlane mode then the forward motor will immediately stop, but the control surfaces will continue to provide stability while the plane slows down. This allows for transitions to QuadPlane modes while flying at high speed. Tilt-rotors will immediately move to VTOL position.

1 Like

Thanks Greg, that makes sense.

Hi Greg: I moved the telem radio like you suggested and got it working i also put the yaapu lau script on the Tx only to find out you need a converter i read your items needed but i didn’t see any converter listed but a you tube video i watched said you can make one that requires some soldering so i ordered a couple, Now it’s been pretty cool and windy here so not much flying. Stay warm and Dry Thanks for all your help B.K

Hi Butch,

You lost me as to what you need a converter for? I thought that you said you had a Flight Deck telemetry cable? It’s the same thing.

Craft & Theory Telemetry Cables

Hi Greg: I received the telemetry converter in the mail this afternoon and was trying to find a video to describe how to put it on the taranis but i must of did something wrong cause only fltdk and telem1/ telem2 shows up,I tried to execute yaapu9.lua on the radio i long pressed ent but a error (script syntax error)(attempt to call a nil value)showed would you have any ideas? thanks B.K

Butch,

The image above shows you how to install the cable. For the Pixhawk serial port, use either Telem1 or Telem2. Typically, we use Telem1 for 3DR telemetry and Telem2 for FrSky telemetry but it doesn’t matter. If we assume you used Telem2, then set the SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to 10 for FrSky SPort Passthrough (OpenTX). This information is in the WiKi here.

On the Taranis, you need to use the yaapu9.luac file, not the yaapu.lua file. The “c” at the end means it is compiled to make it smaller. The Yaapu Telemetry Wiki is on GitHub here. In the Index section, there is a compilation link to the link below. Although it can be daunting for less technical users, Alex has done a great job on this. After you have done it once, it becomes quite easy to repeat.

Installation on Taranis radios

Follow the directions and use the OpenTx Companion app to first set up your Taranis firmware properly with the “luac” box checked so the yaapu9.luac file will properly run on the Taranis X9D.

Hopefully, this will help. Learning how to do this will really enhance the capabilities of your Taranis.

Good luck!

Hi Greg:Well I have the converter installed the correct way, but when i go to the display page and long press the go to script the only thing i have to choose from is yaapu9 and i don’t know if it’s lua or luac and when i go back to home page and long press page the yaapu script comes up and it says yaapu is ready but over the script it says no telem data? So i unplug the drone and turn off the Transmitter put it in bootloader mode plug it into the computer go into mass storage and look in scripts and telem and the yaapu9luac script is in their IDK what i doing wrong or missing i’m open for any suggestions thanks B.K

Butch,

It could be several things.

Make sure that you set the appropriate SERIALx_PROTOCOL to 10 on the Pixhawk.

SERIAL2_BAUD,57
SERIAL2_PROTOCOL,10

On the transmitter, go to the Model Telemetry page and select “Discover New Sensors”. After a few seconds, you can stop the discovery. I’ve heard this is optional on the Taranis but I always do it.

You could delete the yaapu9.lua file so only the yaapu9.luac file exists on the Taranis. Then you’ll know it is being used if you hear the “Yaapu Telemetry Ready” announcement.

Lastly, make sure that you bound the receiver to the transmitter with telemetry enabled. You can test this by turning on both the Tx. and Rx. and then remove power on the Rx. You should hear the “Telemetry Lost” announcement.

Good Morning Greg: Ok so i had done everything you suggested, and when i fired everything up i still got the no telem data on the yaapu9 screen on my trans,So i shut everything off and updated the firmware in MP,turned on the trans connected MP now everything seems to work except now i getting this buzz every 5 sec showing bad gps health and the nolock and no sat my MP screen is looking for home the plane is over the pacific off the coast of mexico trying to get back home i guess lol so far i’ts been a hour, So i went to the MP screen Right clicked on my position in Fla told it to fly here WTH so now i guess i’m in guided mode thats what yaapu said and shows on the yaapu telem screen so i think everything is working but i may have to get another compass, Thank You for your help.B.K