Newbie swimming up hill!

[quote=“summX”]Should be at 57600. But I´m beginning to think you just caught a bad unit. Usually they come with no firmware on them and in your initial post you said you got some readings when first connected and then you went to install the firmware.

Do you get the USB connection sound from your computer when you plug it in?[/quote]

Ok, I’ll check what the rate is set at…

You say they should have no firmware… Is there a way to wipe it and start over?

I’m going to un-install MP and see if I can get anything that way…

Ok,

My rate is set to 57600 and I do get a “ping-pong” sound when I plug the Pixhawk in…

Here’s a strange thing…

If I right click on START and go to EXPLORE, I don’t see PX4 or anything like it in my directory tree???

Should I not see it there?

I’m definitely going to ask for a refund on this but as the Chinese have a notional holiday right now, I won’t get a reply until next Monday…

I think we are getting to the end of this…

I work with data logging equipment all day and this should be easy! I just don’t get how it can seem to work the first time I plug it in and as soon as I try to load the correct FW, it locks up???

As this was from china, I had to wait weeks so I can’t see getting this resolved any time soon! :cry:

I would think that the port should show up. Are you using windows 8. If so the driver that is suppose to load may not be loading because it doesn’t like the signature of the driver. There have been several people with this problem.

To fix it they reboot windows with signing turned off option 7. Then install Mission Planner.

There are two drivers needed for Pixhawk. The one for firmware and the one for Mavlink.

Mike

Hello,
I can sympathise with your dilema. having read the postings, I notice some one said reformat the sd card in fat 32. I have been reading loads of posts and they say format in FAT not FAT32. Only a small point I know.

[quote=“iseries”]I would think that the port should show up. Are you using windows 8. If so the driver that is suppose to load may not be loading because it doesn’t like the signature of the driver. There have been several people with this problem.

To fix it they reboot windows with signing turned off option 7. Then install Mission Planner.

There are two drivers needed for Pixhawk. The one for firmware and the one for Mavlink.

Mike[/quote]

I’m using Windows XP. I have another computer I could use, W-7…???

[quote=“Flierman1945”]Hello,
I can sympathise with your dilema. having read the postings, I notice some one said reformat the sd card in fat 32. I have been reading loads of posts and they say format in FAT not FAT32. Only a small point I know.[/quote]

I did reformat the card but I noticed it was FAT32 to start with… I also saved an image of it so I can load the existing files if needed…

I’ll give it a go on my PC tomorrow…

Here’s a video of my dead Pixhawk showing the fail mode…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbWVH2PSLS4

Sorry for no narration but you can see what’s going on…

Also, no button or speaker fitted but the speaker does nothing anyway… and the button has no effect…

I’d double check in System Properties to see if and what com port number is being assigned when you connect the pixhawk.
Make sure Mission planner is set to the same com number and that the baud rate is 115200 as that’s the correct speed for usb connection, should also say something like px4 next to the com number if it’s the right one selected (will be obvious on the drop down list in MP). You have to use usb as you can not upload firmware through wireless telemetry radios.

Yep, sorry! I misread the port speed as I looked at my MP settings. Had connected via 3DR Radio before so it showed that port speed. 115200 is correct for USB. If you click the drop down list next to the connect button it should say something with PX4. It will be obvious which one it is once it´s connected and the correct drivers are loaded.

I mean … in your video your pix seems to talk to mission planner about firmware, so it´s not completely dead

[quote=“summX”]Yep, sorry! I misread the port speed as I looked at my MP settings. Had connected via 3DR Radio before so it showed that port speed. 115200 is correct for USB. If you click the drop down list next to the connect button it should say something with PX4. It will be obvious which one it is once it´s connected and the correct drivers are loaded.

I mean … in your video your pix seems to talk to mission planner about firmware, so it´s not completely dead[/quote]

That’s kind of what I was thinking… all of the activity and the process of the system checking this and that…??? I don’t know?

I’ve now tried it on another LapTop with Windows 7, and it does exactly the same… :confused: :cry:

In my work, when faced with problems like this, I usually go through all of the obvious and everything left is all it can be…

Am I missing anything? I would think I would’ve sorted it by now…

I’m not about to open it up to look for anything inside the box (I have read about weak sockets on the board) so I think my only option is to wait to hear back from the vendor… BUGGER! :cry:

I am sure xp is not supported any more and the drivers in mission planner are not the correct ones. Still you now have a laptop with win 7 and have you downloaded the latest MP to this m/c. If so just plug in the usb and also power the copter ( props off). You should get the tone on the laptop plus the message driver being installed. In the top right corner of MP select the correct port ( it will say pixhawk port 22 or something similar) make sure the connect speed is 115k. Don’t press the connect button, instead go to the initial setup tab and click install firmware. Select you type of tri, quad, hex etc you want to program and now you can download and install the latest firmware for your particular quad.

I did notice in one of your previous post that originally you plugged the pixhawk in and connected with no problems and that the Hud moved around as you moved the copter. This would indicate the board was already programmed because when the pixhawk has no firmware installed, nothing works.
I can sympathise with you problem, I too have come up from APM 2.6 to Pixhawk and am suffering issues and now wondering if my board is faulty.

[quote=“Flierman1945”]I am sure xp is not supported any more and the drivers in mission planner are not the correct ones. Still you now have a laptop with win 7 and have you downloaded the latest MP to this m/c. If so just plug in the usb and also power the copter ( props off). You should get the tone on the laptop plus the message driver being installed. In the top right corner of MP select the correct port ( it will say pixhawk port 22 or something similar) make sure the connect speed is 115k. Don’t press the connect button, instead go to the initial setup tab and click install firmware. Select you type of tri, quad, hex etc you want to program and now you can download and install the latest firmware for your particular quad.

I did notice in one of your previous post that originally you plugged the pixhawk in and connected with no problems and that the Hud moved around as you moved the copter. This would indicate the board was already programmed because when the pixhawk has no firmware installed, nothing works.
I can sympathise with you problem, I too have come up from APM 2.6 to Pixhawk and am suffering issues and now wondering if my board is faulty.[/quote]

Thank you Flierman1945, I have a busy day but I will try it again on the W7 and see how I get on…

Yes, When I first plugged it in, the very first thing I noticed was the horizon was slightly tilted, I picked it up and and moved it about and the HUD went crazy… at that point I was Mr Happy! “Great” I thought… This is gonna be fun!.. Oh my… I am NOT having “FUN”! :frowning:

Ok…

Now I’m getting somewhere…

I loaded MP onto my other Laptop (My wifes) and tried powering it with the battery and plugging it in but no change… Then I had a thought…

I held the safety button at the same time as plugging in the USB lead and it works! I had no blue light but both red lights were flashing… I tried to load the HEX firmware and it went straight in!

I am no much happier! Still, I’ll be even better when i get it into the air!

:smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

There you are, “happy bunny”, look forward to your next post reporting the first flight, bet it will be interesting :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Interesting indeed… I almost got it ready to fly but I still have some thing I need to work out…

Thank you everyone for the help and support you have given!

:slight_smile:

Great that you got it working, I would just like to add this in case someone comes over this thread in the future.

I just got my brand new 3DR Pixhawk original and had the exact same problem. Plugged the board in, got to the point where it says unplug, click OK and plug back in. Then I got “Error uploading firmware”. Tried different USB ports, tried uninstalling drivers, resetting with button on side, nothing worked. So just for the heck of it I tried my other laptop, (which I originally did not want to use because the other one is intended as my groundstation) and it worked on the first try.

Seemingly my old Dell laptop can’t provide enough power for the Pixhawk even if it is directly connected to the USB, and not via HUB.

I also noticed that on my newer Samsung laptop, the USB icon directly above the port has a very small lightning icon next to the USB logo, indicating it is powered, this might be something that only Samsung uses, but still it’s just a reminder that maybe you should try different computers and maybe even a stationary computer before you go through the hassle of scrapping the product or doing warranty claims.

Good luck!

Thank you kjriisne,

I thought I was going mad for a while but it’s good to go and just before the rain hit, I even powered it up in my garden… strangely, it went into failsafe so I only got the props spinning for a short while but it was great just to know the thing will get off the ground! Lol…

Now I have another issue with the PWM’s in the flight modes but I think that’s a curve needed for the switch input???

Ok… New problem…

It now powers up as I think it should but I have a failsafe activated???

Double yellow light flashing… I’m not sure how I activated this but How do I stop it? I’m not even sure how the setting are written to the Pix?? Lol…

Powering it up and having it connected to mission planner it should show on the HUD what the failsafe is, or you can download the logs (.log or .bin) and post them up here.

Ok, It says…

Prearm: Check FS_THR_VALUE

Any ideas??? It wont even arm??? It did before I sorted the Flight modes this morning???