Newbie - flying without apm software

What modes if any are available without running the apm software and com link? can i use loiter and maintain altitude + stabilize modes?

got everything put together and charged up but still having problems with the apm software on my mac. as long as im not running waypoints and autonomous routes can i fly with just my copter and the controller. i have the firmware installed as well.

[color=#004000]Please review the instructions on how to write a support post and add all missing information![/color]

What do you mean by “APM-software”? APM:Copter funs on the autopilot, not on the computer!

event38 Aphex Hexacopter (event38.com/ProductDetails. … Code=AHX-2)
ArduPilot Mega 2.5
uBlox LEA-6 GPS Receiver
APM Planner 2.0 (mac)

Im wondering what flying functionality is lost when i am not connected to APM planner software. Im mostly asking what the gap between a preloaded firmware and config on the autopilot module on the copter and what the link to the laptop running APM planner is.

im having troubles getting the connection between helicopter/controller to laptop running all i have is the preloaded firmware on the autopilot from the factory (event38) and want to get flying asap.

APM Planner is only needed for configuring, programming auto-missions and monitoring telemetry. It’s not needed for anything else.

You lose no ‘flying’ functionality. You do lose a lot of useful information about the status of the flight and the mode the vehicle is in.

If you are new to the whole platform, it’s arguably much better using a GCS, as you will much better informed as to what is happening.

That’s doens’t reflect well on Event38’s statement [quote]All components ordered with this kit are configured and calibrated to each other[/quote]

If you are using 3DR Radio, make sure you set the baud rate to 57600,

I assume it will be pretty difficult to start flying without a connection to a GCS.
You have to calibrate your RC, your ACC, your compass, have to program flightmodes etc.
I have a Mac, too, and I tried with APM Planner on Mac and QGroundcontrol, but both are not stable at all on my Mac (OS X 10.9). Finally, I installed Windows 7 (you can download and use it for free from MS for 90 days) on VirtualBox. That works pretty well.

But you can give them a try:
qgroundcontrol.org/
ardupilot.com/downloads/?category=6

Another way would be to get a serial terminal (like the one integrated in Arduino IDE or zterm) and use Client-Mode for configuration.