New to QuadCopters, a few basic questions

First let me say that I have read a LOT on the ArduPilot pages, as well as other pages that it has linked to. I’ve learned a lot of new words this past week, but have a few I’m sure basic questions.

What does APM stand for? I’m assuming “auto pilot” something? Multiplatform? I know what it IS, just not sure what the letters stand for.

Also, what does PWM stand for regarding ESC?

And sorry if I’m missing the obvious, but just hadn’t seen it (and I must be not Googling correctly either…)

As far as flight controllers go, looks like the Pixhawk is what I should be looking at right? Sounds like things started with the APM, went to PX4, and now Pixhawk is the latest and greatest? That being said, what is the Hobbyking KK2.0 lacking (for $30) that the Pixhawk ($200) doesn’t do? You can add optional GPS and datalinks on both of them correct?

And ARF means “Almost Ready to Fly”, right? (didn’t see it spelled out but figured that’s what it was)

I was thinking I should get the Flamewheel 450 ARF, but they recommend the Naza autopilot system (that’s their flight controller right?), but can I use the Pixhawk on it instead?

Also, the Mission software looks amazing!

Really hope I didn’t ask too many questions for this first post, and hope they’re not too obvious of questions but still learning a lot and lots of new lingo to get through my skull.

@dibbkd,
Here are some answers to your questions:

PWM: Pulse Width Modulation. The ESC responds to pulses from the APM or R/C receiver that range from 1ms to 2ms with 1.5ms being the center point. As the pulses go from 1ms in length to 2ms in length the ESC will make the attached motor go faster.
APM: ArduPilot Mega. When the Ardupilot hardware went from the Atmel 328 mcu to the Atmel Mega 1280/2560 mcu the Ardupilot designator had Mega added as a suffix.
I have known members who have replaced the Naza controller in their multicopters with an APM, but you need to be experienced in electronics to do so.
You get what you pay for in navigation processors. The Pixhawk is more expensive than a HK clone because it has better quality control and provides functionality beyond a cheap $30 flight controller.
Regards,
TCIII Developer

Little addition:
APM used to mean ArduPilot Mega. Nowadays in context with the software (e.g. APM: Copter) it does in fact mean “Autopilot, multiplatform”.
As for the Pixhawk, that’s a 32bit dual redundancy hardware platform with the latest in sensor technology. That and the fact that it’s not made in China is responsible for the price. A $30 KK2 can’t by far do what a Pixhawk can do.
As for the choice, at the moment the consensus is that the APM 2.5/2.6 is the way to go for a proven and stable platform, while the Pixhawk - due to still being brand new is more for experienced and slightly experimental-minded users.

[quote=“dibbkd”]
What does APM stand for? I’m assuming “auto pilot” something? Multiplatform? I know what it IS, just not sure what the letters stand for.[/quote]

The m stands for Mega

[quote=“dibbkd”]
Also, what does PWM stand for regarding ESC?

And sorry if I’m missing the obvious, but just hadn’t seen it (and I must be not Googling correctly either…)[/quote]

PWM = Pulse Width Modulation. In this case its a specific type used to control servos and escs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servo_control

[quote=“dibbkd”]
As far as flight controllers go, looks like the Pixhawk is what I should be looking at right? Sounds like things started with the APM, went to PX4, and now Pixhawk is the latest and greatest? That being said, what is the Hobbyking KK2.0 lacking (for $30) that the Pixhawk ($200) doesn’t do? You can add optional GPS and datalinks on both of them correct?[/quote]

Pixhawk is pretty new still. I would suggest an APM 2.5 or 2.6 first. There is a far higher use base for support. the main difference is 2.6 ships ready for external compass rather than using the internal one, which due to being nearer to high currents in the electronics is more easily affected. the external compass can be positions further away from these items.

KK2 is a simpler flight controller that works very well for what it is aimed for. KK2 doesn’t have any GPS or compass functionality, it hasn’t got telemetry as far as I am aware (but check :slight_smile:), so no autonomy as with APM. Actually I don’t think Naza can do missions either, they reserve that for their higher cost offerings.

[quote=“dibbkd”]
And ARF means “Almost Ready to Fly”, right? (didn’t see it spelled out but figured that’s what it was)[/quote]

Correct :slight_smile:

[quote=“dibbkd”]
I was thinking I should get the Flamewheel 450 ARF, but they recommend the Naza autopilot system (that’s their flight controller right?), but can I use the Pixhawk on it instead?[/quote]

You can use another flight controller if you want.

Yes it is pretty cool, especially with telemetry. there are other options for tablets/phones too if android based such as andro pilot and droid planner.

If you like you can start with a KK board and then change the control board as you get more condident and aquainted. A quad is only 2 sticks and four motors at the end of the day. In a lot of ways easier to set up and fly than an A2 free flight glider from back in the day.

Where you should spend some time and thought is on the RC controller you buy. You are very lucky in that a great low cost one is not long out. The Taranis frsky-rc.co.uk/frsky-news-fr … ry-modules Starting out with a radio like this will future proof you to an extent. Bit of financial pain to start with but worth it.

[quote=“StefanG”]
As for the choice, at the moment the consensus is that the APM 2.5/2.6 is the way to go for a proven and stable platform, while the Pixhawk - due to still being brand new is more for experienced and slightly experimental-minded users.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips everybody, I’ve been doing more reading since getting your replies the other day, but just wanted to say thanks for the tips so far.

I can’t find it offhand, but I had read on this site that it was recommended to get the Pixhawk if starting out new because it was the latest (and greatest?), but from what I’m hearing here is it’s best to stick with the APM 2.5/2.6 because it’s tried and true?

Hi all, first thing I am a beginner to flying quodcopters and have just bought my first one, it is a cheep one but
when mastered hope to upgrade, my question is I bought a Skytech M62R 6-Axis Gyro Mini RC Quadcopter with 0.3MP Camera RTF 2.4GHz and mest up at thew beginning, the instructions under BINDING THE RADIO TRANSMITTER AND RECIVER to push the throttle stick from the lowest to the highest and then pulled a minimum code to complete but I did the wrong (stupid) thing I had the throttle in the middle and pulled it down (STUPID I KNOW) and now my controls are all wrong IS THERE A WAY TO RESET MY QUODCOPTER AND START AGAIN.
I have tried supplier but they were an internet shopping site and could not help, any advice would be much appreciated as this is a hobby I have been wanting to take up for years

Thanks
Gavin