New Setup Help, too crisp, hover issue

today i setup from scratch and this time i used internal compass of apm2.8 (earlier i had G-Model ublox new)…the performance boomed and response was muuuuuch better without any tuning.
now the question: is it possible to use internal compass but use that gps for RTL fucntionality?51hNfk4GUgL

Yes, it is possible to use the internal compass, and still have the GPS attached, and used. But is recommended to use the external compass and GPS

Actually with external compass im having the instability and too crisp response as i was mentioning above… Shifting to internal compass made it more stable

I understand that. But my answer still stands, the internal compass is more prone to high current interference from the ESC and motors, and you copter might crash at some point. You have been warned.

1 Like

then for sure my default params are ok and its the external compass that z making me nuts. i calibrated the compass as well following the recommended procedure but still the response is too crisp…the drone does fly but the response is too crisp and also even though i selected X frametype but during flight it seems plus frametype. u think any issues with physical installation? here is my external compass…my FC is point fwd towards the receiver

Your GPS compass seams to be pointing diagonally. It should be pointing to the front of the vehicle.

And it should be fixed. if it rotates during flight you might crash. Your firmware is too old and can not diagnose those types of issues. You need to fix that yourself!!!

thanks. i was doubting the same thing but wasnt sure. i will align and redo the setup

yup, its fixed with extra glue to make sure it doesnt move when flying…
due to diagonal orientation i guess that is why it flies in plus config even though in setup i selected x frametype

Nope, the diagonal orientation, is just wrong. It can make you crash. correct it.

FC and compass need to have the same orientation, and the frame type needs to be correct as well.

The why don’t you point the GPS module forward towards the receiver?

Ya think?

2 Likes

thanks alot guys for your help and tips, ive fixed all the blunders i was making…time for maiden flight in upcoming days and share my results with you guys

today i did some test flights after all calibrations etc. issue is that when my quad leaves ground, it drifts to the right. there is wobling or trembling and its smooth but it doesnt take off straight up. any idea why?

weight distribuition and center of mass. And you do need to learn how to post log files.

thanks for the tip. i will work on CG
for log files, it has been a big issue for me. i dont understand how to get log files from APM3.2. i know the logs can help alot to know what is going on but unable to know the method :frowning: tried both from mission planner and Qgroundcontrol app

1 1-1-1970 3-00-00 AM.bin.log (163.9 KB)

i finally got the way to get dataflag logs…its for the time when i raised the thro and the quad drifted fwd

We need one where the CG is in the center of the copter.

when i move my external mounted ublox neo compass nothing happens on horizon. seems like this one is not doing anything. i connected to as following

can you help me tell what is smart way of checking if CG is in center and masses are equal? i hung the quad from middle and used a bubble level tool to make sure it is levelled on both x and y axis. where there was difference i moved esc in/out to adjust weight vector…am i correct?or suggest me to find some way. thanks