New OS free F4Light HAL

I think one big problem is that the tuning values for small (<=250) copters are really tiny tiny numbers, and you need to get round the safety thresholds in some of the GCS. Also the defaults absolutely won’t fly the smaller copters so you have to half or quarter or even more the initial PID values to get them to fly, and the tuning window is much smaller the smaller the copter.
So I suspect Ardupilot will fly these copters really well (it flies my 300 brilliantly), just the GCS, documentation and settings need to be adapted a bit. Suspect very few people using Ardupilot fly things this small.

THx Andrea.

So if I want to connect gps with i2c mag I have to connect gps to main port on revolution and mag to Flexi port ? Is it correct ? Flexi port is serial 2? What I have to change in serial2 ?
regards

For Revolution / RevoMini:
Main port -> Serial1 (common use: telemetry)
Flexi port -> Serial2 (common use: OSD)
pin 7,8 (on Revolution) 5,6 (on RevoMini) of RC input port -> Serial3 (common use: GPS)
pin 9,10 (on Revolution) 7,8 (on RevoMini) of RC input port -> SCL, SDA (I2C)

Ciao
Andrea

[Edit]
added to first post

Can this info please be added to the wiki ?

I might have missed some boards, but could any of these boards be used for a TradHeli ? Which ? I didn’t find any that would allow the number of required output channels for it. @anbello @night_ghost ?

I added both to the first post and to the wiki

Sorry but i don’t have any knowledge about this

it’s been quite a while since i’ve last set up a heli, but iirc it requires 5 outputs minimum (3 x swashplate, tail, governor)?
revo and revomini do have 6 standard pwm outs. omnibus flavors likely only have 4 outputs on standard servo-rail, but most do have separate additional solderpads for pwm 5 & 6.

cheers, basti.

This is so cool. I can now upgrade my sleeping FPV racers to Arducopter and get them back to useful work !

1 Like

Hi
Where can I find latest.zip file

Normally on @night_ghost Ardupilot fork, now is not there, I think he is working on this and it will reappear soon.

In alternative it is possible to build it from Ardupilot master:

I built it for Copter on linux following this
http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/building-px4-for-linux-with-make.html#building-px4-for-linux-with-make

follows the Setup section then on the Build section:

for revolution / RevoMini

cd ArduCopter
make f4light

at the end of compilation f4light_Revolution.bin, .hex and .dfu are on the same dir

for AirbotV2 (Omnibus F4 V2 Pro)

[Edit] all that in italic no more needed commit 75180c3 fixed those problems

[in ArduCopter dir]

cd …/libraries/AP_HAL_F4Light/hardware/osd/osd_core
ln -sf …/…/…/support/minimosd-extra/MinimOsd_Extra/Params.h Params.h
cd …/…/…/…/…/ArduCopter/

[a wrong symlink]

then edit the file: …/libraries/AP_HAL_F4Light/hardware/osd/osd_core/GCS_MAVLink.h
and change BetterStream in AP_HAL::BetterStream on lines 23, 26 [this may change with future commits]

then edit the file: …/libraries//AP_HAL_F4Light/hardware/osd/osd_core/OSD_Max7456.h
and change BetterStream in AP_HAL::BetterStream on line 88 [this may change with future commits]

then

make f4light-clean
make f4light BOARD=f4light_AirbotV2

at the end of compilation f4light_AirbotV2.bin, .hex and .dfu are on the same dir

ciao
andrea

sorry but I don’t interested in TradHeli so can’t help

Hi
I have a problem to build f4light firmware
I clone repo with
git clone https://github.com/night-ghost/ardupilot.git
then
cd ardupilot/ArduCopter
make f4light
and I get
make: *** No rule to make target ‘/home/ubuntu/ardupilot/modules/mavlink/message_definitions/v1.0/ardupilotmega.xml’, needed by ‘/tmp/ArduCopter.build/libraries/GCS_MAVLink/include/mavlink/v2.0/ardupilotmega/mavlink.h’. Stop.
any help

use code from Ardupilot/Ardupilot, not from my repo

Is it possible to use
Currentsensor
Airspeed Sensor
OSD
GPS
on the Revo board?

I’m about to order a new FC but before i do that i wanna know if i can use my Genuine revo board instead.

Ok
I builded firmware from Ardupilot/Ardupilot, for cc3d revo but if i try to connect radiolink se100 gps with HMC5983 commpass in QGC i get - seconnd compass - not instaled.
When I use yours firmware ( 22 February) evrything is OK.
Any Ideas ?

My firmware does auto-scan of external I2C bus for all known compases while upstream don’t.

Is it possible to add auto scan to upstream ?

PR is ready

PS. this is meaningless text to make stupid restriction “20 characters minimum” to be happy

With Revolution / RevoMini there are two way to connect I2C device.
If the parameter BRD_FLEXI_I2C is set to 0 flexi port is UART and I2C is on pin 9, 10 (for Revolution) or 7, 8 (for RevoMini) of the RC Input connector.
If the parameter BRD_FLEXI_I2C is set to 1 flexi port is I2C and pin 9, 10 (Revolution) 7, 8 (RevoMini) can be used as SoftSerial.

I think this is true both for master and for @night_ghost fork.