New Hex Build Stabilize Mode Issues Please give me a hand

New built hexa consistently rolls left and pitches forward in Stabilize mode.
In Loiter Mode Toilet bowls and wont hold position with good Gps Lock

Multistar Elite 3508-268KV
Afro HV 20A MultiRotor ESC High Voltage 3~8s ESC
FrSky X9D
was Flying with GEB Cells and Lipo same effect
FrSky X8R 8/16Ch

This was hand launched in GPS Mode (BIG LOG)
[attachment=3]2014-12-08 23-42-28.bin[/attachment]
Small log Ground launch
[attachment=2]2014-12-08 23-58-04.bin[/attachment]
Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Attached are my logs and Build pics

[attachment=0]JB4.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]JB3.jpg[/attachment]

Log File C:/Users/mailoto/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp627.tmp.log
Size (kb) 10613.0537109375
No of lines 142883
Duration 0:14:39
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.2
Firmware Hash c8e0f3e1
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = FAIL - Large compass off params (X:-176.00, Y:-14.00, Z:-63.00)
Large compass offset in MAG data:
X: -176.00
Large change in mag_field (37.45%)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
Test: GPS = WARN - Min satellites: 6, Max HDop: 3.77
Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.23, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = GOOD -
Test: Pitch/Roll = GOOD -
Test: Thrust = GOOD -
Test: VCC = GOOD -

Just reading your printed log:
Compass Failed and GPS HDOP and Sat readings were too low to be effective.
That explains the LOITER issues for sure.

Looks like a great build. I’m part way through my own 680Pro build.

SC

[quote=“mailoto”]New built hexa consistently rolls left and pitches forward in Stabilize mode.
In Loiter Mode Toilet bowls and wont hold position with good Gps Lock

Multistar Elite 3508-268KV
Afro HV 20A MultiRotor ESC High Voltage 3~8s ESC
FrSky X9D
was Flying with GEB Cells and Lipo same effect
FrSky X8R 8/16Ch

This was hand launched in GPS Mode (BIG LOG)
[attachment=3]2014-12-08 23-42-28.bin[/attachment]
Small log Ground launch
[attachment=2]2014-12-08 23-58-04.bin[/attachment]
Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Attached are my logs and Build pics

[attachment=0]JB4.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]JB3.jpg[/attachment]

Log File C:/Users/mailoto/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp627.tmp.log
Size (kb) 10613.0537109375
No of lines 142883
Duration 0:14:39
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.2
Firmware Hash c8e0f3e1
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = FAIL - Large compass off params (X:-176.00, Y:-14.00, Z:-63.00)
Large compass offset in MAG data:
X: -176.00
Large change in mag_field (37.45%)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
Test: GPS = WARN - Min satellites: 6, Max HDop: 3.77
Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.23, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = GOOD -
Test: Pitch/Roll = GOOD -
Test: Thrust = GOOD -
Test: VCC = GOOD -[/quote]

thanks for your reply

whats cases such a large offset ? have a looked over the internet for a solution with no luck have done several mag calibratiins with no luck.

also i still want to get to.the bottem of the stabilization mode issues i think most of.the problems stem from.here as if.it has such issues in sabilazation mode its.probally fighting.with its.self in gps mode.

Thanks

justin

Have you reviewed the “common problems” for STAB? copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/stabilize-mode/
I’m not familiar with DL other pilot’s logs. So can’t help you there. Perhaps one of the gurus will chime in.

Here’s some thoughts though:

Compass: I did find 3.2 took less time to CAL, than before in 3.15. It’s my understanding “less time is needed.” I still went through it a couple of times and it auto finished quickly and saved the offsets.

GPS: Will your HDOP get below 2.0 if you wait longer? It seems to take a bit longer to hit the minimums when it’s overcast. Personally I won’t fly any GPS dependent modes much over 2. My 7N gets up to 15 sats and HDOP down to 1.3.

NOISE: If it were mine. I would move the Air Telemetry radio away from the PH and out onto an arm. I would also point the antenna down/vertical. I also put foil under the PH (or top plate) to shield from the power wiring.

If I’m sharing stuff you already know just smile. LOL

Look forward to hearing how it sorts for you.
SC

[quote=“mailoto”]thanks for your reply

whats cases such a large offset ? have a looked over the internet for a solution with no luck have done several mag calibratiins with no luck.

also i still want to get to.the bottem of the stabilization mode issues i think most of.the problems stem from.here as if.it has such issues in sabilazation mode its.probally fighting.with its.self in gps mode.

Thanks

justin[/quote]

Hay, that looks like the copter I want to build. I picked faster motors though.

From the logs it looks like self inflicted. It shows large roll and pitch forward before the crash…

Radio setup correctly?
[attachment=0]Crash3.png[/attachment]

Mike

Thank you all for your reply’s

I will disconnect the telemetry all together and retest.
I will lower the PID Values for Roll and YAW and retest
I will isolate the pixhawk better from em interference and retest

if failure happens once again then i will pull the Pixhawk out and throw in a naza m lite to give a good base line reference point if all the basic hardware is function properly and post my results here.

MIKE Radio is set up good to the best of my knowledge and all the inputs i applied were to try and counter what the hex was doing upon take off it pulled Strongly to the Right of the craft i was standing behind it ( Arrow pointing away from me ) I gave it input to counter that action.

Questions

(Stabilize mode)
Why Pulling to one side Harshly

(Loiter mode)
Why is there such a large offset for the compass and what if any consequences does this have on the operations of the hexa in loiter or stabilize mode
Note it can fly in loiter mode if hand launched and is stable to the horizon but wont hold its position

Thanks for all your input i will continue to post

I didn’t see what prop style you have. However,if they are single nut type you might check them to be sure they are nice and tight…

[quote=“mailoto”]Thank you all for your reply’s

I will disconnect the telemetry all together and retest.
I will lower the PID Values for Roll and YAW and retest
I will isolate the pixhawk better from em interference and retest

if failure happens once again then i will pull the Pixhawk out and throw in a naza m lite to give a good base line reference point if all the basic hardware is function properly and post my results here.

MIKE Radio is set up good to the best of my knowledge and all the inputs i applied were to try and counter what the hex was doing upon take off it pulled Strongly to the Right of the craft i was standing behind it ( Arrow pointing away from me ) I gave it input to counter that action.

Questions

(Stabilize mode)
Why Pulling to one side Harshly

(Loiter mode)
Why is there such a large offset for the compass and what if any consequences does this have on the operations of the hexa in loiter or stabilize mode
Note it can fly in loiter mode if hand launched and is stable to the horizon but wont hold its position

Thanks for all your input i will continue to post[/quote]

Just trying to fly in stabilize mode not Loiter

What has been tested

Removed Telemetry all together
Tightened Props
Further isolated PX from power components.

This was a hand tethered launch will not fly on its own. Pitches forward 34 degrees around and slight left.

Next step i will install a NAZA M light to isolate the problem from flight hardware to pix-hawk

Attached are the logs from this evenings flight.

[attachment=0]Tues1032.bin[/attachment]

I had a look at the logs, but it’s hard to see what’s going on. I see a LOT of movement, but you say you are hand holding it, so I’m not sure what’s what.

What I can say for sure, is you occasionally have some EXTREME vibration. Definitely high enough to cause problems flying in Stabilize, and forget about Loiter. Did you have it dancing around on the floor at some point, particularly in the longer “GPS Mode” log in your first post?

I do not think the Mag calibration is a problem, though you probably have to do a CompassMot procedure. I believe there is a problem with the auto-log analysis tool in MP that flags things as having high offsets unnecessarily.

Part of the problem might be that your PIDs are a bit low. I don’t know for sure, but they do seem low. But first, you need to fix the vibration problem. Generally, your vibes are OK, but then sometimes they just light up like crazy. I wonder if the Pixhawk can actually move around so much it can hit other components, such as your receiver?

My friend was holding the hexa by the landing gear in the air to see where it was pulling and releasing it just enough to see what direction it was flying to.

in stabilize mode if we try to take off from the ground its will pull directly to the front left and crash.

In Gps mode we had it flying but we hand launched it.

What other details can i provide to try and help figure out the solution.

Attached is a closeup of the mounting of the pixhawk

[attachment=0]mount.jpg[/attachment]

Thank you,

Justin

I will test tomorrow taking off from loiter mode

Thanks

Justin

It’s really hard to see how a copter flies when holding it with your hands, as it can’t respond properly, and will build up I-terms falsely. You really should try flying in Stabilize before Loiter, because the vibration problems can make the Loiter controller fly poorly, and you won’t know if the problem is with the loiter controller, or the basic stability controller in the code.

I definitely think that the motor signal connectors could be rubbing on that Rx the way you have it set up, and might be causing the vibration I’m seeing.

I will attempt to take off from the ground in stabilize mode.
I have made the adjustments so the PX does not chafe on anything.
Post results after the flight.

Thanks

Justin

I see what Rob’s saying. Is there any chance the servo connectors, etc. can be contacting the RX and transferring vibrations? I know some pilots are very particular about eliminating ANY possibility of secondary contact and vibration transfer. It’s hard to tell just from the photo.

BTW: That vibration mount looks awesome.

Would you please sort this AND make it look easy. I’m wanting my leap from the Pixhawk quad to my 680Pro build to be Smoooth. lol

good speed, SC

[quote=“mailoto”]My friend was holding the hexa by the landing gear in the air to see where it was pulling and releasing it just enough to see what direction it was flying to.

in stabilize mode if we try to take off from the ground its will pull directly to the front left and crash.

In Gps mode we had it flying but we hand launched it.

What other details can i provide to try and help figure out the solution.

Attached is a closeup of the mounting of the pixhawk

[attachment=0]mount.jpg[/attachment]

Thank you,

Justin[/quote]

Hey well its working ! Thanks!

Few last questions

Rob CompassMot procedure should i still run this even though im using an external compass?
Loiter mode is very unstable
in stabilize mode when giving roll input its a little wobbely

Thanks so very much guys !

[attachment=0]jb1.jpg[/attachment]

I will attach the log in the following post

So things are improving? That’s good.

CompassMot can help, even if you have an external compass.

Loiter and Stab being unstable, I’ll have to see logs. If your Rate PIDs are not tuned well, it can make Loiter fly poorly.

Log file

[attachment=1]2014-12-10 22-35-28.rar[/attachment]

Hey i just wanna say its working like a charm now. Auto tuned it today and flying like a dream!

Thanks!

Are those logs after the Autotune? The attitude control is not great.

Here is the logs after the auto tune
[attachment=0]After_tune.bin[/attachment]