Nano Talon problems setting up

@anon94298870 what is the purpose of the fiber tape?

Where do you add tape to keep the tail/wings, and what kind of tape? I was going to add some velcro strips but worried that it would affect the airflow. I’m going to do first flight without as I need to transport it in the box, and both wings and the tails are quite hard to pull out by hand so I think it’s reasonably safe.

@Coby There are little CG markers underneath the wings for you to use, nice little touch. I’ve taken note of some advice ‘a nose heavy plane flies poorly and a tail heavy plane flies once’! Will try and get the CG as good as possible but just a little nose heavy.

Triumph and Disaster!

OK so the good news is that I finally got flying, first time. Took off in FBWA and it just flew great. Quite a strong wind so I flew in a long rectangle with it going very slow in one direction and taking off like a rocket in the other direction. It was very, very slow at turning and reacting to roll and pitch movements - is that normal in FBWA? It also seemed to wobble quite a lot when flying straight - might have been wind but it was quite a lot, so suspect some inherent issue.

Landed and took off a few times without issue. Everytime I land in long grass the wings come off so I taped the wings onto the fuselage before I tried an autotune. Autotune seemed to go OK although still very poor response to movements.

Then I got bored and tried stabilize mode. Big mistake, that greatly exceeded my flying ability and during a turn it nosedived into the ground, broke the spur of one wing and broke the fuselage in half. Not a big deal, I can get replacements from a local store for not too much money, but clearly I need to read up on better ways of learning to fly!

Anyway, I got flying for the first time with no major issues, which is great. Thanks for all the tips here. Now I need to learn how to fly, how to tune etc! @anon94298870 I’ll take a closer look at your params now re: tuning. I did turn the mixing_gain up to 1.0 which was good - left at the default of 0.5 would have been almost unuseable I think.

Flight Sims are a huge win for the rc community. Multicopters with stabilization are the easiest thing in rc to fly so transition to fixed wing takes some practice.

Practice in flight sim until control reversal is muscle memory.

2 Likes

@fnoop

The fiber tape help keeps everything together in a crash and I can speak from experience as my nano talon took a nose dive from 80m straight into the ground. Broke the center spar but fuselage stayed intact I was very surprised. It adds minimal weight and is quite durable for the belly landing aircraft. Use to work on a helicopter crew and fiber tape is your best friend.

1 Like

You need to follow the autotune process to get the controller tuned before any of the other modes will perform nicely.

I’ve recently tuned my mini pixhawk equipped NT so know exactly how sluggish it responds until you have it tuned. I also adjusted the mixing gain to give more elevator movement (0.6).

Chris

1 Like

Sorry to jump in late in this discussion. My guidance is to never reverse a channel or set trim on the RC transmitter. Begin setting up your nano talon (or any other V-tail, A-tail, or Wing) with your RC transmitter set to factory default. Set Servo 2 and Servo 4 for Left and Right V-tial (this is standards but you could use any channels) and move the plane in pitch and role. Reverse Servo channels if needed to achieve proper motion. If you cannot achieve proper motion when you move the plane in pitch and role, then interchange the two tail servos (switch left and right) and try again. In one or the other connection the V-tail (or A-tail) will work correctly. Now test pitch and roll with your RC transmitter. Reverse RC channels (in Config/Tune) to achieve proper motion. This sequence works 100% of the time for all planes!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice!

@Ronald_Pandolfi Yes you’re absolutely correct! This is the same thing that @Naterater advised, and it definitely works. In addition I was completely confused by the ambiguous instructions on the vtail doc page.

@hangarspace Thanks for the info, when I tape it back together the first thing I’ll do is an autotune. I actually set the mixing_gain to 1.0 before taking off. Oddly there was very little pitch control in FBWA, but too much in stabilize/manual.

@anon94298870 Fiber tape ebayed! So what about the wings? When I had my big crash at the end it broke one of the wing spurs, possibly because I had taped the wings to the fuselage. I think I need to find a way to keep the wings on more during flight, but still come off during a crash. Or possibly a big crash will always break something…

friends, I have a nano talon and use pixhawk 2.4.8 in it, when first take off, was a problem because it was not curved, in autotune almost flew straight. I tried to change the gain to 0.5 and it was worse. CG of this model is in fact where it has the marks in the wings, someone found a better point? I still have curve problems and it rocks a lot, I can not do autotune to adjust.

friend could inform the values of pids he got for this model, an image of the MP screen would be very good.